Is this why we have to chrono?

Discuss Safety issues and possible training ideas.

Moderator: THE ARCHANGEL

Non Sequiter Rex

Is this why we have to chrono?

Post by Non Sequiter Rex » Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:34 pm

I found this on a Airsoft forum from New Mexico and thought it might be interesting to those who may question safety regulations of the MAA. I especially like there informal chrono procedures at the end of the post.

"Anything above 350fps using .2g BBs will be able to break skin at point blank.
400fps will break skin if it hits something exposed
450fps can break skin at distances over 50ft, again, on exposed skin part of the time
500fps using .2g, but using heavier BBs (as one should wiht a high-powered gun) should leave bleeding welts out to almost 100ft. Breaking skin is no problem under 50ft.
600fps: you have to use heavy BBs (or you're a moron). These can put an eye clean out, and plant BBs under skin under 50ft. I'm no ballistics expert, but this is almost as much energy as a paintball gun, BUT, it's concentrated on 1/9th the area -- about 5-7 times the ability to damage the target.

Llama would like to crusade for the following policy:

If you want to use a gun for CQB, you must first remove your shoe, and shoot yourself in the foot. If the gun is full auto, a minimum of 5 shots. Semi-only, 2."

Guges Mk3
MAA Member

Post by Guges Mk3 » Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:34 pm

Their informal chrono procedure is very lax.

Our informal chrono procedure is to allow eveyone on the opposite team to shoot you 10 times with only one layer of light clothing at 10'. FA or SA...its up to the shooter.
I rather use a "nightmare" that shoots like a dream over something that looks like a "dream" but shoots like a nightmare.

Don't fear the gun...fear the one that's wielding it!

Andrew

Re: Is this why we have to chrono?

Post by Andrew » Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:18 am

OUCH!, you got to be kidding

Faust
MAA Member

Post by Faust » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:38 am

Andrew wrote:OUCH!, you got to be kidding
Yes, he was kidding.

LT Tahoe

Post by LT Tahoe » Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:05 pm

They must have some thin-skinned dudes down there, because all of those sound like absolute worst-case scenarios. I've never seen anything approaching those situations. 350fps breaking skin? Bleeding welts at 100'? Whatever.

Guges Mk3
MAA Member

Post by Guges Mk3 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:36 pm

Oh...you think I am kidding? Well...in the old days...that was the informal rule we used to prevent idiots from making/using/bringing a ridiculously overpowered AEG. The fear of being shot 200+ times in the back with their own AEG was enough to keep sanity and safety from being replaced by stupid anarchistic arms race.

I know of two situations...that a HP AEG never appeared due to this informal rule.
I rather use a "nightmare" that shoots like a dream over something that looks like a "dream" but shoots like a nightmare.

Don't fear the gun...fear the one that's wielding it!

WWAM

Post by WWAM » Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:40 pm

My G&G RK-47 chronos at 370 FPS with .2g BBs. But I doubt it can leave bleeding welts at 15 feet or more.

But anyway, we need to worry less about possible injuries and teach responsible use, or else people will latch onto that.

Predator
MAA Member

Post by Predator » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:31 pm

lol... I like it. Would never do it though.
- United States Marine
- MAA Member #52

Miss airsoft community. Maybe next year...

b.lee.swagger
Regular

Post by b.lee.swagger » Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:22 pm

paintball guns rarley hit over 350 if that.
Sipma02

Shock&Awe
Extremely Regular

Post by Shock&Awe » Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:53 pm

I think anyone who plays field airsoft in a T-Shirt or light clothing is a idiot. What's the minimum engagement distance for field again? 10 feet? Field FPS limit for 2009 is 450. 15-30 feet engagement for a guy in a T-Shirt with that velocity would probably cause some BIG red welts.

I remember at one of my team's games during the hot summer, we did a CQB battle, and Eh_Well just had his chest rig on :lol:
Former Airborne Infantryman 2011-2015

Molon Labe

Trippy
MAA Member

Post by Trippy » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:05 pm

Three things:
1) Paintballs weigh a hell of a lot more than an airsoft BB. Directly comparing velocity doesn't work - you have to look at joules and the surface area of the impact.
2) BBs don't actually hurt when you get hit, unless you get hit in certain areas (nose, finger tips, lips...) Playing in a t-shirt and open gear when its hot is great.
3) Err... Necropost? Come on swagger, this thread hasn't been touched for a year and a half. I'm almost surprised that it made the last board switchover.
Morris Team
BATC 0509 Honor Grad
The Fastest Airsofter in Minnesota

Bunny
MAA Member

Post by Bunny » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:37 pm

Shock&Awe wrote:I think anyone who plays field airsoft in a T-Shirt or light clothing is a idiot.
I played all of Thunder V with nothing but a skin-tight and thin compression shirt and my gear on above the waist :P

It's really not that bad.

Clark
MAA Member 70. BATC Grad 05-10. Chicago Swordplay Guild Member - Ferrum non Verbum.
Morris Team - The Bearded One

bikemancs
MAA Member

Post by bikemancs » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:08 pm

Bunny wrote:
Shock&Awe wrote:I think anyone who plays field airsoft in a T-Shirt or light clothing is a idiot.
I played all of Thunder V with nothing but a skin-tight and thin compression shirt and my gear on above the waist :P

It's really not that bad.

Clark
Ditto, especially the second day when I was in 'command' I was only running an UnderArmor shirt and DCU Pants... of course I wasn't exactly rushing a bunker...

Shady-Cadence
MS40 Rangers

Post by Shady-Cadence » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:47 am

b.lee.swagger wrote:paintball guns rarley hit over 350 if that.
Mine, made by a company called Bruiser (aptly named), pushed 430 before I modified it. :shock: The guy at the field thought his chrono was broke! :lol:
De Oppresso Liber
BATC Honor grad 10-07, MAA Member #76 -- TOC Co-Founder http://www.tocairsoft.com
Dietrich Werner, Grenadier. Kampfgruppe West, 8th Regiment, 3rd Panzergrenadier Division. http://www.ostfrontairsoft.com

b.lee.swagger
Regular

Post by b.lee.swagger » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:28 pm

my bad. i was told they disinagradt in mid air if they go much over 400
Sipma02

lord_coz
A Regular

Post by lord_coz » Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:21 pm

edit
Last edited by lord_coz on Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

jrad787
Still A Newbie

Post by jrad787 » Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:20 pm

I know first hand about bleeding welts and they take like a month to go away.

Return to “Safety & Training”