PC enthusiast/gaming rig

Anything not related to airsoft. Keep it appropriate.

Moderator: THE ARCHANGEL

Magkill
A Regular

PC enthusiast/gaming rig

Post by Magkill » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:05 am

I want to know what I should get for my first PC build. I already have a Mac with an i7 so I'm trying to stay way from computers that are meant for editing because two that have hyper threading would be just simply over kill. This my plan if funds allow:
Intel I7 4770k for tinkering/over clocking
2 nivida pny 760s for 240 each in sli to be faster than a nivida GeForce gtx Titan which is $1000
And any motherboard that has 2 PCI 16 slots that is sli compatible the one I found is an ASUS with this and it has wifi, this is needed because the router is not able to be moved too much.
Any basic ssd is good enough for me all I need it for really is starting up the PC and it won't be some high grade work station windows 8 set up. I have parallels that runs windows on my Mac so would be cool if it could run the same thing.
Power supply doesn't need to be to grand so not any thing above 80 gold and at the least 700 watts because of the two graphics cards. I was looking at the cross air 970 something or other that is 750 watts nothing too special just needs to run the thing.
And lastly the case... Idc it's what ever will have the best reviews and or the most reviews for solid info.

And this is if finds allow so any suggestions would be great.
Code name: magkill

Team: Task Force Pallaton

Weapon of choice g&g gr-25

Bunny
MAA Member

Re: PC enthusiast/gaming rig

Post by Bunny » Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:04 am

If you already have a box with an i7 and you don't want another hyperthreading rig, why go with Intel at all? You'll get more bang for your buck with an AMD chip, the only thing you really loose is hyperthreading.

Clark
MAA Member 70. BATC Grad 05-10. Chicago Swordplay Guild Member - Ferrum non Verbum.
Morris Team - The Bearded One

Riptyn
Still A Newbie

Post by Riptyn » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:49 pm

Some tips:

Hyperthreading isn't a bad thing. I much prefer Intel over AMD chips for about everything. They are almost always faster dollar for dollar, save for some of the $300-$500 octo-core AMD chips compared to i7's.

For gaming, an i7 is overkill, as well as its AMD contemporary hex/octocore, since all save about 4 games in existence are written with code that takes advantage of more than 2 parallel threads.

-Get a quad core i5 4570. If you have never overclocked before, stick with the 4570. If you're a PC tuner and you know what you're doing, the 4570K MAY be worth it. I personally don't think it's worth the +/- 4% performance gain you can get (provided you have a chip made well enough to overclock that far, not all are created equal!)

-Get a motherboard from ASUS, MSI, ASRock or Gigabyte. Don't spend extra for "OC, BLACK, REAPER, REDLNE" or other special editions with more features. They're largely irrelevant unless you professionally tune your PC and run watercooling.

-Get a single video card - I recommend the Nvidia 750 or 760. If you want a Titan killer on the cheap, get a Nvidia GTX 780. SLI is largely a ploy to purchase more product from the video card vendor. Multiple cards DO NOT and CAN NOT scale 100%. On top of purchase cost, you also have TWICE the heat, TWICE the noise and TWICE the power consumption.

-Get a power supply from Corsair, Thermaltake or Antec. Rosewell isn't terrible either. Buy a 500W up to 900W. If they are Gold or platinum rated, they will be higher quality and more efficient.

- For a case, stick to a mid-size ATX tower. I recommend the Cooler Master HAF 912.

-RAM: 8GB is perfectly fine, you can get 16GB if it's within your budget. Get 1600mhz DDR3 from either Corsair, G. Skill or Crucial. Make sure it's Dual-channel, not triple channel.

This should be about everything. If you have a bunch more cash to spend you can look at upgrading to a i7 4770, or possibly RAID together some SSDs.

If you have any other questions let me know.
/k/ommando
FCC ID: KE0ARA
Steam ID: riptyn
"Содержание моего счастья – борьба за счастье других." -Roza Shanina

Magkill
A Regular

Post by Magkill » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:02 pm

Forgot to update this. I ended up getting something $500 cheaper. An amd 8350, 16 gb of crucial ballistic ram clocked at 1600 MHz, and a Nvidia MSI twin frozer of edition 760. The case is a corsair 230t because I don't really need any thing better than that epically from corsair. The mother board is an MSI g46 something or other all I know was I was sad to see it didn't have enough fan and no USB 3.0 ports on it. The total number of fans ended up being 10, 6 on the case 2 GPU 1 CPU 1 psu not a very quiet case lol. PC 1000, monitor 150, key board 30, mouse 30, headphones 200, chair 300 + mat because I'm on carpet and for the desk is built in to the house so one slab of wood.

Gotchya
MAA Member

Post by Gotchya » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:45 pm

If you can find another piece of wood, get the PC off the carpet. You don't want static all up in that b.
MAA Member #105
I... am... Ironman... rih nuh nih nuh nih na nah naah naaah
Team BANGARANG!

Gotchya
MAA Member

Post by Gotchya » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:46 pm

Wait I totally misread that atleast I hope I did nvm
MAA Member #105
I... am... Ironman... rih nuh nih nuh nih na nah naah naaah
Team BANGARANG!

Magkill
A Regular

Post by Magkill » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:56 pm

i have it off the carpet its on the desk and very noise. The only issue with it being on the floor with wood under it is the only accessible usb ports are on the back and i don't feel like going under the table just to plug in something. The wood for the desk isnt like home made, its a decent desk its just permanent it doesn't have legs just a stack of drawers for the support on the right and a wall for support on the left and facing a wall. This is much harder to explain than it should lol.

Return to “Off Topic”