Video Editing PC

Anything not related to airsoft. Keep it appropriate.

Moderator: THE ARCHANGEL

IsparkTheLa
MAA Member

Video Editing PC

Post by IsparkTheLa » Sat May 10, 2014 10:12 pm

I bought a GoPro and my dinosaur laptop doesn't have the power to play back the videos. Is it possible to build a semi decent PC that can handle minor video editing for sub $500? I know nothing about computers....does anyone on these boards build computers as service?
Today's problems cannot be solved if we still think the way we thought when we created them.

Bunny
MAA Member

Re: Video Editing PC

Post by Bunny » Sat May 10, 2014 10:48 pm

Starting from scratch that's going to be a pretty hard budget to hit, especially if you don't already have a decent monitor.

You'll want to start with a reasonably fast 64-bit AMD processor, at least 4GB of RAM (8 would be better), a graphics card, plenty of hard drive space (1TB+), and a motherboard without on-board video and ideally USB3. A monitor of good quality and decent size is a really good idea.

What software do you plan on editing with? If you're thinking of going Adobe at any point looking at Intel processors and Nvidia graphics cards is not a bad idea since programs like Premier support Hyper-threading and CUDA, but the Intel processor especially will drive up cost considerably.

Clark
MAA Member 70. BATC Grad 05-10. Chicago Swordplay Guild Member - Ferrum non Verbum.
Morris Team - The Bearded One

IsparkTheLa
MAA Member

Post by IsparkTheLa » Sun May 11, 2014 9:12 pm

My budget does not include a monitor, I already have one.

As for software, I toyed around with simple programs like GoPro Studio and a little with Final Cut Pro. As I mentioned before, my experience is very limited. It would be nice to build something to allow for progression, should I become more involved with editing. I know my budget is weak and I don't know if that type of build is even possible.

Thanks for the help Bunny.
Today's problems cannot be solved if we still think the way we thought when we created them.

EMO
Extremely Regular

Post by EMO » Sun May 11, 2014 9:28 pm

I went on new egg and built you something decent with enough left over for shipping. Should get you by I didn't put a CD/dvd drive in to save you a couple of bucks. PM me and I can send you the list of parts I put together.
MINAS Rangers
Add me on Hangouts for PC help!
Radthekid@gmail.com

Bunny
MAA Member

Post by Bunny » Sun May 11, 2014 11:47 pm

Alright, I would stick with an AMD processor then if you're not yet tied to an NLE, you get way more bang for your buck.

Do you already have an operating system? A copy of Windows will cut into your budget, but your options for editors will be severely limited on a Linux distro.

I would start with a good CPU, as that will be the most difficult thing to upgrade. Otherwise get a MoBo that can handle a lot of RAM and buy your first RAM sticks in large sizes so that you can just add on to them rather than replacing them. Be sure to grab a tower than can hold a good number of hard drives easily, video takes up waaaay more storage space than most people realize at first (HD video in a capture format can be between 10GB and 300GB per hour of video, depending on compression).

Clark
MAA Member 70. BATC Grad 05-10. Chicago Swordplay Guild Member - Ferrum non Verbum.
Morris Team - The Bearded One

EMO
Extremely Regular

Post by EMO » Mon May 12, 2014 12:08 am

Bunny wrote:Alright, I would stick with an AMD processor then if you're not yet tied to an NLE, you get way more bang for your buck.

Do you already have an operating system? A copy of Windows will cut into your budget, but your options for editors will be severely limited on a Linux distro.

I would start with a good CPU, as that will be the most difficult thing to upgrade. Otherwise get a MoBo that can handle a lot of RAM and buy your first RAM sticks in large sizes so that you can just add on to them rather than replacing them. Be sure to grab a tower than can hold a good number of hard drives easily, video takes up waaaay more storage space than most people realize at first (HD video in a capture format can be between 10GB and 300GB per hour of video, depending on compression).

Clark
Found a good CPU for him, AMD FX 6 cores at 3.5ghz is plenty. If he wants some short videos it's more then enough. I have a toshiba laptop that could render a 4min HD video and it was only a 3.2ghz dual core. $500 was a very thin line to work with but I actually got a pretty decent machine out of it.

The only thing I didn't include was a Monitor, OS, CD/DVD drive, and a wireless adapter. If he wants a keyboard I got plenty of extras. And extra cables that I use for repairing other's computers.
MINAS Rangers
Add me on Hangouts for PC help!
Radthekid@gmail.com

Return to “Off Topic”