What knife sharpener do you use?

Anything not related to airsoft. Keep it appropriate.

Moderator: THE ARCHANGEL

Ninjaofdeth
MAA Member

What knife sharpener do you use?

Post by Ninjaofdeth » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:54 pm

I'm just wondering what you guys use to sharpen your folding or fixed blade knives. I've decided the "v" shaped sharpeners, or at least the 3 different versions of that type that i've used, really don't work on SOG knives. They sharpen super cheap knives pretty well, but thats because they shave away little pieces of the blade...

It hasn't really been a problem because I usually buy a new knife before my newest one gets dull, not intentionally of course, but it would be nice to know what sharpeners are good/easy to use/affordable out there

Thanks
MAA Member 102
Gunfighter Level 1
BATC 5-10 Grad
5.11 Whore
T5.11TBT

Larzon
A Regular

Re: What knife sharpener do you use?

Post by Larzon » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:07 pm

I use the good old trusty Smiths Sharpening Kit. It is just a basic kit with a Soft and Hard Arkansas stones. Also has honing oil. It has never failed and always works no matter what.
Kid at CP- Dude you should totaly call your hits!
Me- Dude I was totaly totaly taking pictures.
"Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." -C.S. Lewis-

THE ARCHANGEL
MAA President/CEO

Post by THE ARCHANGEL » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:03 pm

I use the Spyderco Tri Angle Sharpener and swear by it. I sharpen CRKTs, SOGs, Kershaws, ZTs, ESEEs/RATs and even my Monroe and Bawidamann. I have the standard set and the "diamond" stones.

I have a Lansky and hate it. To much fuss. I have many whetstones and use them for knives where I really need to work the blade.

In the end I will use whatever I can get my hands on because it's not the tool....it's knowing how to use it.
MAA Founder, President, & CEO
MAA Member Number: 1
Team PALADIN Founder
BATC Senior Instructor
BATC Graduate 08-02
ATAC Award for Service

Ninjaofdeth
MAA Member

Post by Ninjaofdeth » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:34 pm

THE ARCHANGEL wrote:I use the Spyderco Tri Angle Sharpener and swear by it. I sharpen CRKTs, SOGs, Kershaws, ZTs, ESEEs/RATs and even my Monroe and Bawidamann. I have the standard set and the "diamond" stones.

I have a Lansky and hate it. To much fuss. I have many whetstones and use them for knives where I really need to work the blade.

In the end I will use whatever I can get my hands on because it's not the tool....it's knowing how to use it.
Looks good. That was one of the ones I was looking at but I didnt know anyone who had used it

I know anything can be used, from a car window to a cardboard box, but Its always nice to have a quality tool. There is only so much the V shaped "carbide" and ceramic sharpeners can do, and its not shave worthy

I've seen people round their blades with improper sharpening, but that tri angle sharpener looks like it would be harder to do that with.
Would you say you can get your blades back to factory sharp with that system?
MAA Member 102
Gunfighter Level 1
BATC 5-10 Grad
5.11 Whore
T5.11TBT

Moose
A Regular

Post by Moose » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:30 pm

Lansky - swear by it for a truly sharp lastng edge.

Get the table clamp to go with it.

With respect,
moose
There is room for all of God's creatures ... right next to the mashed potatoes.

lord_coz
A Regular

Post by lord_coz » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:50 am

i have a 320 but you want the 3 stage. are there better edges? yes but those things are so quick and easy its a no brainer.

http://edgecraft.com/page2a.html

not free but it is a 3 angle progressive edge that is flat ground. i have everything under the sun, diamond, wet, jap stones and many other things and i dont use them any more except for special things.

go forth and cut.

friend 0f god93
Somewhat Regular

Post by friend 0f god93 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:19 pm

just go simple my friend.... i have found that i can get a better edge using a simple 2 sided stone..... but thats just me.... i like the old fashioned way :)
When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me. -- 1Corinthians 13:11
Pray for peace,Train for war.

THE ARCHANGEL
MAA President/CEO

Post by THE ARCHANGEL » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:57 am

Moose wrote:Lansky - swear by it for a truly sharp lastng edge.
Get the table clamp to go with it.
I have the full Lansky setup btu stopped using it. Even with the table clamp there's still to much allowance for angle variance. I have seen people, who granted didn't really know what they were doing, use a Lansky with the exact same angle and stone on a fastened table clamp use it differently and get different results. Different pressure, different strokes. It's not a novice sharpener. I still say their angle slots are too big.
lord_coz wrote:i have a 320 but you want the 3 stage. are there better edges? yes but those things are so quick and easy its a no brainer.
http://edgecraft.com/page2a.html
not free but it is a 3 angle progressive edge that is flat ground. i have everything under the sun, diamond, wet, jap stones and many other things and i dont use them any more except for special things.
Special things are key in your answer. I would NEVER use an electric sharpener on a combat blade like a SOG. Electric Sharpeners were made for kitchen knives....and I still wouldn't use them on really good kitchen knives either.
friend 0f god93 wrote:just go simple my friend.... i have found that i can get a better edge using a simple 2 sided stone..... but thats just me.... i like the old fashioned way :)
Everyone should eventually learn to use flat whetstones. That said, if you don't have the time or inclination, don't try or you can ruin a blade.
MAA Founder, President, & CEO
MAA Member Number: 1
Team PALADIN Founder
BATC Senior Instructor
BATC Graduate 08-02
ATAC Award for Service

Moose
A Regular

Post by Moose » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:10 am

The Lansky took some time to get the hang of it.
Not that I abuse my blades, but the hard utility use and some construction / survival use the Lansky will bring it back.

I agree 100% there is no substitute for diamond whetstones. No electric, crock sticks, pull through or any automatic method will give you a truly sharp lasting edge. It takes skill and time to learn that skill.

Of all the things you need to sharpen, ones wits are the most crucial.

With respect,
moose
There is room for all of God's creatures ... right next to the mashed potatoes.

Return to “Off Topic”