Where to build a powerful PC

Anything not related to airsoft. Keep it appropriate.

Moderator: THE ARCHANGEL

Ground Robin
MAA Member

Where to build a powerful PC

Post by Ground Robin » Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:48 pm

Does anyone know of a good site that I could build a powerful gaming pc? I have been in the mood to upgrade my graphics card so I can play BFBC2 at full graphics but I'm using bootcamp to run windows on an iMac, so the graphics card is soddered to the motherboard. So I'm thinking of getting a gaming PC.
Any good sites?
MAA Member #100
BATC Honor Grad 10/11 and Fire Team Alpha Leader
Sponsored by THE FACILITY airsoft headquarters
Team BANGARANG!

uRizen
MAA Member

Re: Where to build a powerful PC

Post by uRizen » Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:24 pm

I get a lot of parts through Newegg, there's also Micro Center in the Minneapolis area. I helped a buddy build a top-end Phenom PC using mostly parts from their shop and he only paid slightly more than Newegg would have charged, it's a fun place to visit too. :D
MAA Member #89
BATC Graduate, Class 5-10

master7000
Almost A Regular

Post by master7000 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:27 pm

http://www.newegg.com/

After I buy a gun and some gear I'm going there to build a gaming rig to. I subscribed for emails on deals. And I get a lot so they're always having deals. But it's annoying cause all of the emails I get from them now.

Guges Mk3
MAA Member

Post by Guges Mk3 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:00 pm

Before you build research your games needs.

I built a $3k quad core system for a guy just to play WOW...the thing sucked badly. Seems WOW is not Core dependent, nor GPU dependent. Its cycles dependent. I could have halved the cost of the machine and tripled his fps performance.
I rather use a "nightmare" that shoots like a dream over something that looks like a "dream" but shoots like a nightmare.

Don't fear the gun...fear the one that's wielding it!

Ozzy
Exceedingly Regular

Post by Ozzy » Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:31 pm

General nano sys

http://www.nanosys1.com/

their local. some cats like them, some don't. I buy a lot from them periodically so they plug it up. one cat even helped me fix my liquid cooling system for free. Guges told me Hardware capacity has exceeded software needs....so I would'nt go balls to the wall on the graphics card simply from word of mouth.

does 2gig ram of vid mem even help on video games? I just don't see the difference other than frames/sec.
"you don't want beef with people like me, so don't pretend/ I'll resurrect yo aborted baby and kill it again!/you get no props in hip hop/ like feminine men!"

uRizen
MAA Member

Post by uRizen » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:26 pm

It allows for larger texture sizes, also, GPUs are being used a lot more for tasks other than 3D processing such as desktop graphics and video encoding.

If you like General Nanosystems you'd bust a nut at Micro Center. :)
MAA Member #89

Ground Robin
MAA Member

Post by Ground Robin » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:01 pm

Okay. Cool! Thanks for all the info. So then, what would you guys suggest putting into a computer so that it will run First person shooters on full with really high FPS?
MAA Member #100
Team BANGARANG!

Guges Mk3
MAA Member

Post by Guges Mk3 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:25 am

Again...it depends on your shooters engine...who made it and what does it require?
I rather use a "nightmare" that shoots like a dream over something that looks like a "dream" but shoots like a nightmare.

Don't fear the gun...fear the one that's wielding it!

Ground Robin
MAA Member

Post by Ground Robin » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:28 am

Well I'm really into the Half-Life series but I know it doesn't take much at all for that game to run really smooth. I'm more concerned about the newest addition to that series. Other than that, Battlefield Bad Company 2 requirements are

OS: Windows 7, Vista, or XP (I have Vista. I have Windows 7, but I don't have the latest boot camp drivers so I'm still using vista.)

CPU: Intel Pentium D, 3.0 GHz / Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.0 GHz / AMD Athlon 64 x2 or faster. (I have Intel Core 2 Duo 3.06 GHz)

RAM: 2 GB or more (I have 2 GB but was planning on upgrading to 4 GB)

Disc Drive: 8X or faster CD/DVD drive. (I have MATSHITA DVD-R UJ875 ATA Device. Which I'm sure is just fine)

Hard Drive: At least 10 GB of free space (I have over 100 GB free)

Video: DirectX 9, DirectX 10 or DirectX 11 compatible video card. Must be 256 MB or more NVIDIA GeForece 7800 GT, ATI X1900 or better. (I have NVIDIA GeForce 8800 gs)

But I'm running windows through Boot Camp on my iMac so only the RAM is upgradable. (smacks head for not thinking about this when buying the iMac instead of the Power Mac)
MAA Member #100
Team BANGARANG!

uRizen
MAA Member

Post by uRizen » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:39 am

I'm running an Intel i7 920, 6gb RAM with two Radeon 4850s in Crossfire and pulling an average of 85-90fps in Bad Company 2 at 1920x1080 with a lot of goodies enabled, the lowest it ever drops to is a bit below 60fps when a ton of shit is exploding. The rig we just built for my friend was an AMD Phenom 955, 6gb RAM and a top-end nVidia card (can't remember the model ATM.) He spent a bit less and was able to nearly match my I7 rig's performance. I love my Intel, but for the price I'd go Phenom all day long for a gaming rig, especially after seeing how well it's performing for my buddy. If you're interested in going that route I can dig up the parts list, all of which was purchased locally for about what Newegg would have run post-shipping.
MAA Member #89

Ground Robin
MAA Member

Post by Ground Robin » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:27 pm

uRizen wrote:I'm running an Intel i7 920, 6gb RAM with two Radeon 4850s in Crossfire and pulling an average of 85-90fps in Bad Company 2 at 1920x1080 with a lot of goodies enabled, the lowest it ever drops to is a bit below 60fps when a ton of shit is exploding. The rig we just built for my friend was an AMD Phenom 955, 6gb RAM and a top-end nVidia card (can't remember the model ATM.) He spent a bit less and was able to nearly match my I7 rig's performance. I love my Intel, but for the price I'd go Phenom all day long for a gaming rig, especially after seeing how well it's performing for my buddy. If you're interested in going that route I can dig up the parts list, all of which was purchased locally for about what Newegg would have run post-shipping.
Cool! That would be pretty cool if ya could. Thanks!
How much did yours cost?
MAA Member #100
Team BANGARANG!

Return to “Off Topic”