Gaming Laptop??

Anything not related to airsoft. Keep it appropriate.

Moderator: THE ARCHANGEL

Mr.MG42
Extremely Regular

Gaming Laptop??

Post by Mr.MG42 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:16 pm

Well, I was wondering, im saving up for a laptop to play the latest games like bc2, and a few other ones. Anyone got any ideas for a good one under $1000, or a pinch under/over.? Im thinking of the Alienware m11x? Looks pretty sweet.
Any ideas?
Or a good Desktop?

Thanks!
Opps, sorry for the double post.......
"During WW2, the French resistance fighters, in their finest hour, bravely threw sticks of dynamite at the advancing German troops. The Germans then lit them and threw them back.

master7000
Almost A Regular

Re: Gaming Laptop??

Post by master7000 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:35 pm

Make your own!

Rangergord
A Regular

Post by Rangergord » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:06 pm

If you take the desktop rought, then seriously consider building your own. You should be able to build a gaming pc well within your $1000 range. Gaming laptops on the otherhand are tough to have for your price range.

Newegg, and Tigerdirect usually have some barebone kits that would make a good start to a gaming desktop.
You can rob me. You can starve me and you can beat me and you can kill me. Just don't bore me. -Clint Eastwood

Gir
MAA Member

Post by Gir » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:19 pm

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+Lapt ... Id=9556072

Thats what i am using right now. Runs every game wonderfully (L4D2, Team Fortress, COD MW2, etc). I got the 2 (or maybe it was 4) year plan with it, so it set me back about $1,100. But i think its worth every penny. Never planned to have a laptop, and really like desktops, but this one is somethin else.

Take a look into it bro, i would not lie to you, this one is a real nice one.
Basic Combat Training (US Army) 11-08, Honor Graduate...
OP's Attended: New Dawn

Guges Mk3
MAA Member

Post by Guges Mk3 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:39 pm

Do not buy Retail CONSUMER laptops for gaming machines....they are all poor at best in the GPU.

Get a refurb BUSINESS CLASS laptop...that is where the cutting edge GPU notebooks are...plus being a refurb...you pay far less for them and the warranty can be up to 3 years.

My HP8730W cost only 1100.00, MSRP for the thing is 2900.00...a lot of bang for the buck as far as laptop goes.
I rather use a "nightmare" that shoots like a dream over something that looks like a "dream" but shoots like a nightmare.

Don't fear the gun...fear the one that's wielding it!

Eh_Well
Exceptionally Regular

Post by Eh_Well » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:58 pm

I just ordered mine custom from HP. A little under 1k, and I run most games on full specs, or near full specs. Finding a refurbished one would be good too, but I'm very happy with my choice.

Bunny
MAA Member

Post by Bunny » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:47 pm

Why get a gaming laptop at all? Any laptop sufficiently powerful enough for gaming is going to have shit for battery life and be quite large - making it a fairly poor laptop. Furthermore when it is no longer powerful enough to play all the cool new games, it will be very difficult or impossible to upgrade it, and you'll be stuck with a laptop that can't play new games and, as mentioned before, has horrible battery life and is too large to haul around as a conventional laptop.

Getting a desktop will allow you to get a more powerful machine for less money, and when it gets old it is easy and inexpensive to upgrade it.

Clark
MAA Member 70. BATC Grad 05-10. Chicago Swordplay Guild Member - Ferrum non Verbum.
Morris Team - The Bearded One

Eh_Well
Exceptionally Regular

Post by Eh_Well » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:55 pm

Bunny is right, if you plan on using it for gaming strictly, get a desktop. I got a laptop because I need too move around a lot for my gaming, lans etc. and didn't want to haul a gaming rig. Plus, I needed a lappy, and figured a 600 or 700 dollar desktop for games, plus a 400 dollar laptop for college, meh I'll just get a high end laptop that will last me a few years.

Mr.MG42
Extremely Regular

Post by Mr.MG42 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:36 pm

Ok, thanks for the post, anybody got a good suggestion for a gaming "device".(desktop/laptop)(thanks gir)
Now a desktop.
So can i just go to HP and build a custom one.
Any links?
"During WW2, the French resistance fighters, in their finest hour, bravely threw sticks of dynamite at the advancing German troops. The Germans then lit them and threw them back.

Eh_Well
Exceptionally Regular

Post by Eh_Well » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:50 pm

If you want to, you can do that. It worked out well for me with my laptop. Stay away from alienware, they are overpriced for what you get imo.

Bunny
MAA Member

Post by Bunny » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:40 pm

Mr.MG42 wrote:Now a desktop.
So can i just go to HP and build a custom one.
Any links?
If you're looking at a desktop, and feel comfortable building your own (not really too hard) then www.newegg.com is your friend.

My last 3 desktops have been built with parts from there.

Clark
MAA Member 70. BATC Grad 05-10. Chicago Swordplay Guild Member - Ferrum non Verbum.
Morris Team - The Bearded One

Guges Mk3
MAA Member

Post by Guges Mk3 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:53 am

Look at the Refurb page for Business Class first.

Building is more expensive.

Look.

http://h71016.www7.hp.com/html/hpremark ... price-list
I rather use a "nightmare" that shoots like a dream over something that looks like a "dream" but shoots like a nightmare.

Don't fear the gun...fear the one that's wielding it!

trogdor796
A Regular

Post by trogdor796 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:16 pm

I got my gaming desktop on craigslist for a great price. I paid only $450 for a desktop + a wide-screen lcd and it can run most games out there so for $1000 you could get a very nice machine. There are laptops on there too, but more desktops suited for gaming. If you don't mind buying used, you can save a good amount. Just make sure to try it out first. Otherwise the sites mentioned earlier (newegg, etc.) have nice prices.

Return to “Off Topic”