Batteries and Chargers - Being an informed consumer.

If you are new to the boards make sure you read this forum before posting.

Moderator: THE ARCHANGEL

Guges Mk3
MAA Member

Re: Batteries and Chargers - Being an informed consumer.

Post by Guges Mk3 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:29 am

You need to take a physics class to get more in depth info.

Did you read the link I posted?
I rather use a "nightmare" that shoots like a dream over something that looks like a "dream" but shoots like a nightmare.

Don't fear the gun...fear the one that's wielding it!

mau5
Extremely Regular

Post by mau5 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:07 am

I did, couldn't make much sense of it to be honest. I definitely have a much better understanding of batteries now though, thanks guys. Just one thing though, do motors used in airsoft draw a constant amperage or do they draw more upon startup or something?

Guges Mk3
MAA Member

Post by Guges Mk3 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:33 am

It depends on the set-up.
I rather use a "nightmare" that shoots like a dream over something that looks like a "dream" but shoots like a nightmare.

Bunny
MAA Member

Post by Bunny » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:49 am

mau5 wrote:okay, that makes a lot more sense. But if lipos are rated around 20c and 25c, isn't that kind of a crazy amount of amperage to be going into something?
It depends on the pack, and here using C rating to compare different packs can get dangerous - remember from my last post that C varies with the capacity of the pack. A 2C discharge for a 1,500 mAh pack would be 3A, while a 2C discharge for a 4,000 mAh pack would be 8A. Knowing that someone is discharging their pack at 20C can only tell you that they are draining the pack very quickly; without knowing the capacity of the pack there is no way to know the actual discharge Amperage.
mau5 wrote:And what's the function of voltage going into a motor vs current?
Airsoft guns use brushed DC motors, which are about the simplest type of electric motors that there are. With these simple motors changing the supplied Voltage will change the speed in which they rotate (which is why using a higher Voltage pack increases your rate of fire, and also why your rate of fire drops as the pack starts to die - remember Voltage drops as the pack gets low). The motor will draw as many Amps as are needed to turn the motor over, so basically current will vary depending on how strong the load is. If you upgrade your gun by putting a stronger spring in, expect your motor to be drawing more Amps. Again, go to the water analogy: imagine the motor is a water wheel that you're trying to turn. The higher the pressure you spray at it the faster it turns, and higher the load you try to make it turn the more water going over it you need.
mau5 wrote:Just one thing though, do motors used in airsoft draw a constant amperage or do they draw more upon startup or something?
YES! This is a phenomenon called Inrush Current (or Inrush Surge) which will happen with just about any electrical device but is particularly strong with electric motors. A typical airsoft motor may draw between 3A and 5A when running but can easily draw as much as ten times that in inrush current. The motor will draw this current until it starts to spin, so normally it is for a fraction of a second and not a major consideration - although this is why airsoft guns (or any other electrical circuit with an electric motor) need to use slow blow fuses. This is also why you should never hold down the trigger if your mechbox jams - as long as the motor is not turning and you're completing the circuit by holding down the trigger the motor is drawing it's full Amerage, possibly as high as 50A :shock: This will blow your fuse if you have one, and if not you risk damaging your battery or melting your wires.

Clark
MAA Member 70. BATC Grad 05-10. Chicago Swordplay Guild Member - Ferrum non Verbum.
Morris Team - The Bearded One

Hansen01

Re:

Post by Hansen01 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:57 am

Miker wrote:http://www.airsplat.com/Items/AC-BT-11L1800-S.htm
I found this, and am wondering if anyone knows the difference (advantages/disadvantages) for say a Nicd or Nimh
It also seems weird b/c the cells are not 1.2v...
Yes, I purchased from all-battery.com. I think Lipo pack for airsoft may be a good choice for you.
Check out all-battery.com

Guges Mk3
MAA Member

Post by Guges Mk3 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:49 pm

All-Battery sells mostly terrible batteries for Airsoft.

Experienced Airsofters know this....

Kalaka

Post by Kalaka » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:16 pm

Since the original post to this thread is over 12 years old, what are the good NiMH batteries nowadays? Looking for 9.6v, not sure how much mAh. I understand LiPO is the high octane choice created by Chuck Norris and made from unicorn meat, but I'm not going that direction for now. Thanks!

Return to “Newbie info - Archive - FAQ”