New Member - Big_Smitty71

If you are new to the boards make sure you read this forum before posting.

Moderator: THE ARCHANGEL

Big_Smitty71

New Member - Big_Smitty71

Post by Big_Smitty71 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:44 am

Hello all,

I figured since I've already posted a couple of questions on the forums and made use of the forums to make a purchase I'd take a little time to introduce myself.

My name is Matt Smith, and I'm a 42 year old electrical engineer living in Edina. I'm not a Minnesota native, having been raised in Texas and attending Texas A&M prior to joining the Navy at 18 in 1990. I spent 15 years in the Navy as an Electronic Warfare Technician, serving on both coasts, overseas forward deployed to Japan and did a stint as a recruiter along the way.

Anyways, back to the important stuff. About 6 weeks ago a friend got me into paintball for the first time since the mid-90s (yeah, yeah, I know). I enjoy it to a degree, but it's not exactly "tactical" no matter what spin you put on it... Anyone with fast fingers can lay a rope of paint down and from time to time it will hit somebody, maybe even someone of the opposing team.

I'm looking for more of the small unit tactical stuff. 4-6 man teams operating like a real unit would. Like the team I used for VBSS in the Arabian Gulf. That's when I noticed some airsoft guys down at MN Pro Paintball's fields down in Lakeville.

I read these boards for a couple of weeks before deciding on looking at some equipment first hand at Airsoft Station. I will say that even the high end AEGs are what I would consider affordable (relative to paintball of course). I narrowed down my choices to a G&G CM 16 and the SOCOM ST 15. I went with the ST 15 due to the lower weight (not an all metal gun) and how it felt in my hands. A MAGPUL foregrip, a generic RDS, a couple of bottles of BBs and some G&P mags and I was out the door.

I've been granted access to the MAA Facebook page and I'm watching for updates. I plan on getting over to Twin Cities Airsoft this Saturday and just meet up with people and put some rounds downrange.

Looking forward to meeting up with some folks out at the field!
EWC(SW) USN 1990-2005
Photo and IT Intel (VBSS)
Proud Member of the Mogadishu Surf Club (1993-1994)

Return to “Newbie info - Archive - FAQ”