Question about BB's

If you are new to the boards make sure you read this forum before posting.

Moderator: THE ARCHANGEL

Jrilea15

Question about BB's

Post by Jrilea15 » Tue May 14, 2013 9:25 pm

Would it be ok if I used .30 gram bbs in my aeg? And if so, would it make it more accurate? Sorry if this is a dumb question.
-Thank You

neoM4tech
A Regular

Re: Question about BB's

Post by neoM4tech » Tue May 14, 2013 9:49 pm

.30s will fly slower, but are less affected by wind. so short answer is yes it will be more accurate. a typical aeg shoots great with a balance of weight and fps. i typically use .25s for my aegs and gbbs other than my dmr and sniper rifle which i use .36s

Miker
MAA Member

Post by Miker » Tue May 14, 2013 10:16 pm

What I was told, that convinced me to start using heavier BBs (.28 and .30) was that with the increased density of the BB there is less chance of air bubbles in the BBs. This means you will get fewer "fliers," The BB has more inertia, meaning it is harder to change it from its present course. So it will be less effected by wind and will travel further (as long as you have a good hop-up).

Trippy
MAA Member

Post by Trippy » Tue May 14, 2013 10:19 pm

Expanding: You can use any BBs you want as long as they aren't metal*. You gun will still be chronoed using .2g BBs.

*Can you even buy metal 6mm BBs? If you can, does it really matter what they are made of? If it has 1.5 joules of energy, it will hit the same whether its plastic, glass, or wood.
Morris Team
BATC 0509 Honor Grad
The Fastest Airsofter in Minnesota

Jonnyboyman
A Regular

Post by Jonnyboyman » Tue May 14, 2013 10:42 pm

And remember, while heavier BB's may be more accurate, they will drop sooner too depending on your hop up...

neoM4tech
A Regular

Post by neoM4tech » Wed May 15, 2013 12:56 am

Trippy wrote:Can you even buy metal 6mm BBs?[/size]
http://www.trendtimes.com/aluminum-airsoft-bbs-30g.html
so yes. as far as will they hurt more? metal has less give than plastic... therefore it stands to reason that they would hurt the internals of your gun more, and when they hit you it would hurt a little more. is it enough to make much difference? hard to say. i wont be using them if only because of the chance of hurting the internals of my gun more.
Miker wrote:the increased density of the BB there is less chance of air bubbles in the BBs
there could be something to this in low grade bbs such as crossman, but rarely in high end
Miker wrote:The BB has more inertia, meaning it is harder to change it from its present course. So it will be less effected by wind and will travel further (as long as you have a good hop-up).
inertia, yes... harder to accelerate meaning slower velocity, and more resistant to wind resistance. as for travelling further....maybe this will clear things up.

Return to “Newbie info - Archive - FAQ”