Proper wear of the US Flag on a uniform

If you are new to the boards make sure you read this forum before posting.

Moderator: THE ARCHANGEL

Erik
MAA Member

Proper wear of the US Flag on a uniform

Post by Erik » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:18 am

This question comes up from time to time.

From the Army website:
WEAR OF THE AMERICAN FLAG PATCH

- The US Code states "no part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations. The flag represents a living country and is itself considered a living thing. Therefore, the lapel flag pin being a replica should be worn on the left lapel near the heart."
The MAA's charter specifies that we are a patriotic organization, therefore it is lawful and proper for our members and participants to wear the US flag.
-The US Code does not address the positioning of the flag patch. It is appropriate to wear an American flag patch on the left or right sleeve. When worn on the left sleeve, the union would appear towards the front and the stripes would run horizontally toward the back. When worn on the right sleeve, it is considered proper to reverse the design so that the union is at the observer’s right to suggest that the flag is flying in the breeze as the wearer moves forward.

- Since the law does not specifically address the positioning of the patch, a decision is left to the discretion of the organization prescribing the wear.
The MAA traditionally wears the US flag will be worn reversed on the right shoulder. However, any wear of the flag as specified above is appropriate.
As many states and cities have ordinances pertaining to the use of the flag, you may wish to contact the Attorney General of your state or the City Attorney’s office regarding this matter
Minnesota statutes specifcally allow the respectful and proper wear of the US flag.

Other FAQs:

"Can I wear the flag if I am not a veteran?"

Yes. As stated above, MAA members and people participating in MAA events may wear the flag.

"Is a 'subdued flag' okay?"

The US military has approved the "subdued" US Flag for wear, effectively sanctioning its design. A subdued flag should be treated with the same respect as a full-color flag.

"The First Amendment gives the the right to wear the flag any way I want, even if other people find it disrespectful."

Under the First Amendment, you have the right to do that. It goes both ways. Under the doctrine of Free Association, the MAA has the right to exclude you from its events for doing so.
110% PureBred Professional GunFighter
Team PALADIN
BATC Commandant
MAA Plank Owner
MAA Safety Officer 2001-2012
United States Army 1988-2000

CountryBoy
MAA Member

Re: Proper wear of the US Flag on a uniform

Post by CountryBoy » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:33 pm

Thanks Erik. Now my ? to you is what is the MAA rule on unit patches for non military members? does it bother me to see someone that has never served wearing a unit or combate patch? a little.
MS40 Rangers
T.O.C
MAA Member
BATC 509th
2-135 Infantry
GET SOME!

THE ARCHANGEL
MAA President/CEO

Post by THE ARCHANGEL » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:37 pm

We have a Sticky in the Gear Forum:

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=13794

Basically, if you are doing and actual impression for a themed game "re-enacting" is OK. Other than that, we do not approve. Read the topic I linked, it has a whole discussion.
MAA Founder, President, & CEO
MAA Member Number: 1
Team PALADIN Founder
BATC Senior Instructor
BATC Graduate 08-02
ATAC Award for Service

CountryBoy
MAA Member

Post by CountryBoy » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:39 pm

cool i knew it was out there somewere but could not find it :) thanks
MS40 Rangers
T.O.C
MAA Member
BATC 509th
2-135 Infantry
GET SOME!

Mailman
Extremely Regular

Post by Mailman » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:14 pm

Is it considered disrespectful in any way to to say wear it on the middle of a plate carrier, say on a admin pouch?

Thanks
BATC 5-10 Honor Grad
The most dangerous weapon in the world is a Second Lieutenant with a map and a compass.

Erik
MAA Member

Post by Erik » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:10 pm

Mailman wrote:Is it considered disrespectful in any way to to say wear it on the middle of a plate carrier, say on a admin pouch?

Thanks
I think the question is clearly answered in the original post. As said, there is no specific place the flag must be worn, or cannot be worn.
110% PureBred Professional GunFighter
Team PALADIN
BATC Commandant
MAA Plank Owner
MAA Safety Officer 2001-2012
United States Army 1988-2000

Viper
MAA Member

Post by Viper » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:12 pm

Thanks for the information Erik. As always, your services to the organization are much appreciated.
Viper - Morris Team
MAA Member #73
BATC 05/10 #104

Mailman
Extremely Regular

Post by Mailman » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:53 pm

Erik wrote:
Mailman wrote:Is it considered disrespectful in any way to to say wear it on the middle of a plate carrier, say on a admin pouch?

Thanks
I think the question is clearly answered in the original post. As said, there is no specific place the flag must be worn, or cannot be worn.
Thank you, it was just to clarify
BATC 5-10 Honor Grad
The most dangerous weapon in the world is a Second Lieutenant with a map and a compass.

K9Troop
MS40 Rangers

Post by K9Troop » Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:24 pm

If worn horizontally on the front, the union must be on the left. If worn vertically on the front, the union will face to the right. So, don't wear a reversed flag on the front and you'll be fine.
MS40 Rangers
MAA Member #57
BATC Honor Grad 04-06
American Made Soul-jah

pigkiller_7
Somewhat Regular

Post by pigkiller_7 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:17 am

is there any rules about wearing a flag on the back of a plate carrier like at the top of a hydration carrier?
I am the trigger of my gun
Indestructable is my body
Infinate is my ammo
I have fired over a thousand bullets
Victor over Dead Master
Triumphant over Chariot
Have withstood the pain of many weapons
Yet I will never shed a single tear of pain

thetaco
Exceptionally Regular

Post by thetaco » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:56 pm

PLEASE, read the whole thread.
This has been answered twice, once in the original thread and again when someone asked almost the same exact question.
There is no rule against where it is worn, just HOW it is worn and at what angle.
"Courage isn't that you can see what lies ahead; courage means you will advance not knowing but doing at all costs."
Byron Pulsifer

Return to “Newbie info - Archive - FAQ”