Safety & Legal FAQ

If you are new to the boards make sure you read this forum before posting.

Moderator: THE ARCHANGEL

Asian Thunder
Still A Newbie

Re: Safety & Legal FAQ

Post by Asian Thunder » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:09 pm

Hey Erik My name is Danny. I recently got into an entanglement with the police and have a few questions(note that they did confiscate my airsoft guns).

I was recently trading two airsoft guns with a friend from Orono(I live in white bear lake). We did not want to drive all the way out either direction so we decided to meet halfway. We ended up in Brooklyn Center to trade guns and met at a local park.. One of the neighbors saw us and called the police under the impression that we were trading real firearms. They did not charge me with anything or arrest me. I know i screwed up huge time on the meeting in the public place part and i am very dissapointed that i did not read this forum before. Now later in the week we called to see if we could get the airsoft guns back ourselves and they said that i was later being charged for improper storage because one of the guns i was trading for was a KWA KMP9 and did not come with a case. Take note that they were in our backseat(again did not read the part about the trunk and all the rest of them). I may be charged but I am basing this off of this post and I am wondering is it ILLEGAL to have your guns uncased in the back seat with no mags inside of them. Take note that there was also a KWA SR12 inside of a zipper case with the zipper open on the back of the stock because i wanted to cycle the gears to make sure it worked.
Gen 3 Polarstar's
M4 Based Polarstar
SR-25 Based Polarstar

vashke
A Regular

Post by vashke » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:21 am

Just about all areas require airsoft/firearms to be in cases at all times while transporting. Also, your not allowed to have them on the back seat of the vehicle. They must be stored in the trunk or in the case of an SUV or similar vehicle as far back as possible. The idea is to make it so a suspect is not able to reach for and load a firearm.

Most areas also have laws about having a firearm outside of the car needing to be in cases at all times.

In your post you mentioned cycling a gun. In most areas as well it is illegal to fire an airsoft gun with or with out BB's in a public area. Technically this includes in your car. For example in New Brighton you are only allowed to fire an airsoft gun in a below ground approved gun range.
Vashke

"Honor, Courage, Commitment" ~US Navy Motto
OLCMSS - Lightning Strike IV 1st Platoon 3rd Squad
Camp Ripley V - Brown Team

Tank
Team PALADIN

Post by Tank » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:54 am

Yes, it's illegal to transport an airsoft gun unless it is in a gun case OR in original box taped/tied closed.
Brooklyn Center very well may have specific laws regarding possession of airsoft guns. There are some municipalities that have outright airsoft bans.

On an unrelated note...You must add your age & location to your profile per forum rules. If you don't you might find your access to these forums restricted.
MAA Member Number: 47
Team PALADIN
MAA BATC Instructor / Cadre

pigkiller_7
Somewhat Regular

Post by pigkiller_7 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:41 pm

hello, my name is Tyler

this summer my sister is moving back in, but is now a convicted felon.
i already know i'm going to have to store my real firearms somewhere else while she is at home.
my question is, will i have to move my airsoft guns and gear too?
I am the trigger of my gun
Indestructable is my body
Infinate is my ammo
I have fired over a thousand bullets
Victor over Dead Master
Triumphant over Chariot
Have withstood the pain of many weapons
Yet I will never shed a single tear of pain

vashke
A Regular

Post by vashke » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:19 pm

Yes even airsoft will need to be store elsewhere. The view to take is can it be used to commit a crime?

So Airsoft, non working replicas, any kind of pyro (This may include fireworks), Depending on her parole officer even nerf (I know someone this happened to) could be included.
Vashke

"Honor, Courage, Commitment" ~US Navy Motto
OLCMSS - Lightning Strike IV 1st Platoon 3rd Squad
Camp Ripley V - Brown Team

Tank
Team PALADIN

Post by Tank » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:50 am

IF your sister is on parole/probation, then there can be all kinds of weird rules.

Otherwise, no you will not have to. Felons are not prohibited from owning/possessing airsfot guns.
MAA Member Number: 47
Team PALADIN
MAA BATC Instructor / Cadre

Return to “Newbie info - Archive - FAQ”