Minnesota Airsoft Laws for Minors (Under 18)

If you are new to the boards make sure you read this forum before posting.

Moderator: THE ARCHANGEL

naldox

Re:

Post by naldox » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:33 am

Erik wrote:
Mac/Pistol Man wrote:I am 14, and am wondering something... My parents ordered my gun for me and allow me to play, so is it altight for me to own one? Not like I carry a piece of paper with my parent's signiature that says I can own a gun... Is it OK for me to get like dropped off at an MAA game? Or do my parents need to stay the whole time?

Thanks for any responses
Mac man
It's okay for you to have one, with your parent's permission. Purchase would be the key issue here.

Direct parental supervision is only required for minors under 14. Which is why we set our minimum age at 14.
I hope my mom was like yours, I'm 15 and my mom wont allow me to have a gun. :(
We can protect ourselves using any kinds of weapons like batons, pepper sprays, stun guns etc. and use it in a proper way but If there would be a chance to run then run.

RockTee
Still A Newbie

Re: Minnesota Airsoft Laws for Minors (Under 18)

Post by RockTee » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:39 pm

I know someone who has a gun safety license and plays airsoft, he's 13 and can be with a real gun by himself. Is there anything wrong with this? Me and my bro have been going back and forth with this.
"I am a slow walker, but I never walk back."
— Abraham Lincoln

bikemancs
MAA Member

Post by bikemancs » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:34 pm

Rock, it's pretty well spelled out below. How a 13 year old would get a weapons permit that exempts him from state law is beyond me. I'd ask to see such permit (as he would have to have it on him anytime he's handling a weapon) to verify.
Erik wrote:Minnesota Statute 609.66, "Dangerous Weapons" applies to the possession and use of Airsoft guns (referred to as "airguns"). It's important to know what 609.66 means.
Subdivision 1. Misdemeanor and gross misdemeanor crimes. (a) Whoever does any of the following is guilty of a crime and may be sentenced as provided in paragraph (b):

(6) outside of a municipality and without the parent's or guardian's consent, furnishes a child under 14 years of age, or as a parent or guardian permits the child to handle or use, outside of the parent's or guardian's presence, a firearm or airgun of any kind, or any ammunition or explosive.
Possession of written evidence of prior consent signed by the minor's parent or guardian is a complete defense to a charge under clause (6).
What this means is If you are under 14 years of age you cannot possess an Airsoft gun unless you are under the direct physical supervision of your parents. What this means is, if you are touching an Airsoft gun, your parent must be present AT ALL TIMES.

Both you and your parents can be charged with violating this law. Penalties can include up to one year in prison and a fine of up to $1000, or both.

It is because of this law that the MAA requires you be at least 14 to participate in our games.

RockTee
Still A Newbie

Post by RockTee » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:39 pm

I asked him and he said that its a hunting permit. Now it makes sense to me that a guy that can hunt by him self can use a airsoft gun. And if he had it with him(along with a written note from his parents) could I bring him with to a MAA game?
— Abraham Lincoln

RockTee
Still A Newbie

Post by RockTee » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:54 pm

"it" being a gun safety permit.
— Abraham Lincoln

Bunny
MAA Member

Post by Bunny » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:52 am

A 13 year old can certainly hunt small game with the proper license and firearm safety course - but they cannot do it by themselves. Anyone under the age of 14 must be accompanied by a parent at all times when using a firearm, regardless of certifications, regardless of hunting or not.

From the MN State Hunting Regulations for 2010:
• An adult parent/guardian/mentor aged 18 or older must accompany
the youth hunter at all times during the hunt.
• Participating youth 12 years of age and older must have a firearm safety certificate or apprentice hunter validation. Participating youth must
possess a valid firearm deer license.
Clark
MAA Member 70. BATC Grad 05-10. Chicago Swordplay Guild Member - Ferrum non Verbum.
Morris Team - The Bearded One

THE ARCHANGEL
MAA President/CEO

Post by THE ARCHANGEL » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:08 am

RockTee wrote:I asked him and he said that its a hunting permit. Now it makes sense to me that a guy that can hunt by him self can use a airsoft gun. And if he had it with him(along with a written note from his parents) could I bring him with to a MAA game?
Simple....No. We have rules, we follow them. You can find other groups and fields that will let him play under 14 and that is their choice and their liability. The MAA prefers to interpret and follow Minnesota State laws to the letter.

* Let me adjust my answer and say....he can come and hang out but cannot play until he is 14.
MAA Founder, President, & CEO
MAA Member Number: 1
Team PALADIN Founder
BATC Senior Instructor
BATC Graduate 08-02
ATAC Award for Service

Bald Eagle

Post by Bald Eagle » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:16 pm

Just wanted to post this as it concerns this topic. Recently I had to contact the ATF concerning an person that wanted to join my airsoft team in central MN. During my conversation with them, they informed me that neither airsoft or paintball are classified as a firearm. And with airsoft guns not being considered a firearm, this law would not concern us. Does anyone have any other information concerning the details this law with airsoft guns?

Just to make it clear, I am not trying to cause issues here concerning this law, I am simply trying to find out the actual legal age in which a person is able to play according to state law.

AMR
Fairly Regular

Post by AMR » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:41 pm

Edit
I remembered Eric made a post answering this question :lol:
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=18540
A.L.I.C.E. may not be the prom queen any more, but she is still one hot milf

Guges Mk3
MAA Member

Post by Guges Mk3 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:11 am

You also consulted a Federal Agency.
I rather use a "nightmare" that shoots like a dream over something that looks like a "dream" but shoots like a nightmare.

Don't fear the gun...fear the one that's wielding it!

THE ARCHANGEL
MAA President/CEO

Post by THE ARCHANGEL » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:12 am

Bald Eagle wrote:Just wanted to post this as it concerns this topic. Recently I had to contact the ATF concerning an person that wanted to join my airsoft team in central MN. During my conversation with them, they informed me that neither airsoft or paintball are classified as a firearm. And with airsoft guns not being considered a firearm, this law would not concern us. Does anyone have any other information concerning the details this law with airsoft guns?

Just to make it clear, I am not trying to cause issues here concerning this law, I am simply trying to find out the actual legal age in which a person is able to play according to state law.
It's awesome you called the ATF, it shows how serious you are. As Guges mentioned you called a federal agency and they told you federal law. States have additional laws that do not supersede but work in conjunction with Federal laws. In Minnesota the MAA follows the letter of the law strictly....some say too strictly. I know of both paintball and Airsoft orgs that allow people under the age of 14 to play. That is their liability to deal with. We have also found that contrary to parental and individual feelings on the manner that 14 year olds usually possess the base level of maturity most players need to accept the level of stress that can come on with an organized Airsoft game. If you are looking for actual state or city ordinances to define Airsoft....you will not find them. Airsoft is too small to merit that kind of attention.

* If you ask the ATF about orange barrel tips they will tell you need them....but at the state level we know that's only true for importation and for some states transportation across state lines. There is a big difference from federal to state law and even state to state law.
Team PALADIN Founder
BATC Senior Instructor
BATC Graduate 08-02
ATAC Award for Service

Dew Key (Dewk)
MAA Member

Post by Dew Key (Dewk) » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:57 pm

In other words, I believe this means that, while federal law dose not require said person to be 14, but Minnesota state law dose. Correct?
MAA #95
Member of Team Vendetta
BA BA BLACK SHEEP
Delta Milsim Group Probationary Member
Warrior Level 1
BATC 10/11 Grad

Bunny
MAA Member

Post by Bunny » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:33 pm

Dew Key (Dewk) wrote:In other words, I believe this means that, while federal law dose not require said person to be 14, but Minnesota state law dose. Correct?
Correct.

Clark
MAA Member 70. BATC Grad 05-10. Chicago Swordplay Guild Member - Ferrum non Verbum.

Bald Eagle

Post by Bald Eagle » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:32 am

thanks for the info, much appreciated

ciin
A Regular

Post by ciin » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:38 am

To clarify, legally a person under 14 can play with a parents consent. That parent does not need to be there. But remember this is a criminal statute and in no way separates anyone from civil liability. You can get consent and even a release for civil liability but as these are kids the civil release would most likely not hold up in court. This is supported by case law under 07/13/62 JOHN M. JOHNSON v. JAMES HOLZEMER. it's is under the old statute but has been adopted for 609.66

The problem isn't a criminal issue you can get around that with the consent as stated it's a "complete defense" but you'd still be open for a civil suit if said child is under the age of 14 or even over 14 for that matter. The criminal liability is a misdemeanor but the civil is where things get ugly with "dangerous weapons".

That being said it is a wise policy to allow only those 14 or older to play with consent.

NOTE: this is not my interpretation. My son has friends around 12-13 yrs old that want to play on our property so i called my lawyer to get the scoop. We had a lengthy conversation on the liability exposure.

THE ARCHANGEL
MAA President/CEO

Post by THE ARCHANGEL » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:20 pm

ciin wrote:To clarify, legally a person under 14 can play with a parents consent. That parent does not need to be there. But remember this is a criminal statute and in no way separates anyone from civil liability. You can get consent and even a release for civil liability but as these are kids the civil release would most likely not hold up in court. This is supported by case law under 07/13/62 JOHN M. JOHNSON v. JAMES HOLZEMER. it's is under the old statute but has been adopted for 609.66

The problem isn't a criminal issue you can get around that with the consent as stated it's a "complete defense" but you'd still be open for a civil suit if said child is under the age of 14 or even over 14 for that matter. The criminal liability is a misdemeanor but the civil is where things get ugly with "dangerous weapons".

That being said it is a wise policy to allow only those 14 or older to play with consent.

NOTE: this is not my interpretation. My son has friends around 12-13 yrs old that want to play on our property so i called my lawyer to get the scoop. We had a lengthy conversation on the liability exposure.
That's a great explanation and why the MAA has the rules it does. In many cases the "civil" side of things is worse than the "criminal" (unless you go to jail of course).
Team PALADIN Founder
BATC Senior Instructor
BATC Graduate 08-02
ATAC Award for Service

Tank
Team PALADIN

Post by Tank » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:28 pm

ciin wrote:To clarify, legally a person under 14 can play with a parents consent. That parent does not need to be there. But remember this is a criminal statute and in no way separates anyone from civil liability. You can get consent and even a release for civil liability but as these are kids the civil release would most likely not hold up in court. This is supported by case law under 07/13/62 JOHN M. JOHNSON v. JAMES HOLZEMER. it's is under the old statute but has been adopted for 609.66

According to the statute (609.66) the parent/guardian must be present (highlighted in red).
Subdivision 1. Misdemeanor and gross misdemeanor crimes. (a) Whoever does any of the following is guilty of a crime and may be sentenced as provided in paragraph (b):

(6) outside of a municipality and without the parent's or guardian's consent, furnishes a child under 14 years of age, or as a parent or guardian permits the child to handle or use, outside of the parent's or guardian's presence, a firearm or airgun of any kind, or any ammunition or explosive.
Possession of written evidence of prior consent signed by the minor's parent or guardian is a complete defense to a charge under clause (6).
MAA Member Number: 47
Team PALADIN
MAA BATC Instructor / Cadre

THE ARCHANGEL
MAA President/CEO

Post by THE ARCHANGEL » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:37 pm

outside of the parent's or guardian's presence
That's legal mumbo jumbo and I hate it when they write stuff like this. What does "presence" mean In the staging area? In the parking lot? On the field next to their child? The MAA has always interpreted this as the latter and while that strict adherence may seem crazy to some, again, it's about liability.
Team PALADIN Founder
BATC Senior Instructor
BATC Graduate 08-02
ATAC Award for Service

ciin
A Regular

Post by ciin » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:50 pm

The subd 6 must be read as a whole highlighting one line within it does not suffice. Doing so leaves out the qualifier of "without consent" And the as "parent or guardian permits" then establishes the scenario of doing this outside their presence. also the complete defense clause that follows is quite clear. Remember this only pertains to criminal charges. Your still exposed to civil liability.

to Tanks point if someone were to try this it would certainly not be wise to do it outside the "presence"
Last edited by ciin on Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ciin
A Regular

Post by ciin » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:56 pm

Arch, regardless of the specifics of what one could do to avoid a criminal charge the MAA policy is a wise route. I was merely trying to clarify exposure to criminal vs civil liability. The language is vague in subd 6.. They certainly could clarify the intent better.

You guys do a great job of setting and applying sound safety regulations and policy

And I also hate the legal Mumbo jumbo. That's why I always ask my lawyer. It's too easy to get these wrong.
Last edited by ciin on Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ciin
A Regular

Post by ciin » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:09 pm

And remember statutes are only a part of how law is interpreted by the court, the other part is case law (see my original comment).

TheNoob

Post by TheNoob » Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:02 am

So I live in Minneapolis Minnesota, I'm turning 14 in 2 weeks and getting an Airsoft gun for my Birthday. How do you get a permission form for your parent to sign? Or do you just write on a piece of paper that I have permission? Just wondering too, How would you prove that your 14? I'm not lying that I'm not going to be 14, but couldn't someone lie that there 14 and get a permission slip? Or do you need a Birth certificate around with you cuz that will be a pain in the butt.

Tank
Team PALADIN

Post by Tank » Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:08 am

Any responsible seller would require your parental unit(s) to do the actual buying.
Team PALADIN

Viper
MAA Member

Post by Viper » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:19 am

As for permission to play, every game (every legal, insured, well-organized game that is) will have a waiver for you to sign. If you're 18, you sign it and that's that. If you're under 18, your parents will sign it as well. These waivers are usually available online so you can have them filled out ahead of time. The waivers will include date of birth.
Viper - Morris Team
MAA Member #73
BATC 05/10 #104

ciin
A Regular

Post by ciin » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:46 am

You dont have to prove that your 14. That's what the parental consent is for. Allowing a download for a waiver or a release (yes they are different and every field should have both) is fine but i would never recommend not having the parent or guardian be present to sign.

This law is only related to criminal charges which are not severe, rather easy to get around and the least of your worries (airsoft organizers). Any organizer should be far more concerned with the civil liability. There is clearly a stated "complete defense" for the criminal charge....that does not exist for civil liability even with a release signed things can get messy.

Viper
MAA Member

Post by Viper » Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:37 pm

ciin wrote:You dont have to prove that your 14. That's what the parental consent is for. Allowing a download for a waiver or a release (yes they are different and every field should have both) is fine but i would never recommend not having the parent or guardian be present to sign.
The problem with that is then you remove carpooling options. If four 16 year old friends want to go to a game they can all get a ride with one, or get a ride from one of their parents, with waivers signed and in hand. If you require the parent to be there in person, you're requiring all those people to have their parents drive to the game, drop them off, and then come back and get them. Chances are kids would end up playing a lot less if that were the case.
Viper - Morris Team
MAA Member #73
BATC 05/10 #104

ciin
A Regular

Post by ciin » Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:12 pm

A minor inconvenience vs a potential lawsuit with lots of zeros behind it. A civil lawsuit could ruin a business and bankrupt its organizer/owner.

Weigh the risk.

Viper
MAA Member

Post by Viper » Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:31 pm

ciin wrote:A minor inconvenience vs a potential lawsuit with lots of zeros behind it. A civil lawsuit could ruin a business and bankrupt its organizer/owner.

Weigh the risk.
It's a pretty major inconvenience. Would the average parent (who doesn't play airsoft) drive an hour to drop off their kid, drive an hour back home, and then do the whole thing over again to pick them up? Enforcing something like that would severely limit young people's ability to play. Plus it's just wasteful; why shouldn't a bunch of kids from the same area be able to ride together? No, indeed, make every one of their parents tag along...

Nothing is gained by making the parent be there; the only thing it would prevent would be a falsification of signature. If the parent says they are over 14 but aren't, them signing it in person doesn't make a difference. If for whatever reason the signature is falsified, or the person is underage and lied, how is there a potential lawsuit? If someone lies about their age, what grounds do they have to stand on to sue you? No more than any other situation, and probably less.
Viper - Morris Team
MAA Member #73
BATC 05/10 #104

ciin
A Regular

Post by ciin » Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:42 pm

They would probably only have to do it one time. Not every time. Its also important to understand that these things aren't made for the perfect world they are made for when a kid looses eye. Kind of like insurance. Its called covering your ass.

now imagine someone sues you and you don't have insurance....hello personal assets and financial ruin. Not a gamble i'd care to take. or a kid looses and eye and that kid faked his parents signature on the waiver.....guess who doesn't have the parental consent they thought they did and is now exposed to a civil suit? It's always about the worst case scenario and are you covered for it not the perfect world scenarios you mention.

if no one get hurts this is never an issue but in the event someone ever does and seriously hurt?....someones always got to take the fall. Could even be the person who drove all the kids out that day.....blame the lawyers.

Guges Mk3
MAA Member

Post by Guges Mk3 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:10 pm

Allow:

Permission via copied ID.

Photo copy the the parents DL.

Cover up the "personal" information.

Match Signature on ID and Waiver to make sure it's the same.

Or allow playing by Proxy.

Have an adult sign for the child as a guardian as long as the Guardian also plays.
I rather use a "nightmare" that shoots like a dream over something that looks like a "dream" but shoots like a nightmare.

Don't fear the gun...fear the one that's wielding it!

vashke
A Regular

Post by vashke » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:54 am

I am a parent and I would drive the first time just to make sure my sons are registered correctly.
Vashke

"Honor, Courage, Commitment" ~US Navy Motto
OLCMSS - Lightning Strike IV 1st Platoon 3rd Squad
Camp Ripley V - Brown Team

THE ARCHANGEL
MAA President/CEO

Post by THE ARCHANGEL » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:02 am

vashke wrote:I am a parent and I would drive the first time just to make sure my sons are registered correctly.
That's always the best way to start as you get to meet the people running the games and see what it is your child is getting in to.
Team PALADIN Founder
BATC Senior Instructor
BATC Graduate 08-02
ATAC Award for Service

well595

Post by well595 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:51 pm

what are the laws concerning the orange tip? Can i remove it once i have the gun, or am i required to leave it on?
Regrettably, airsoft doesn't help against ZOMBIES!! :(

Bunny
MAA Member

Post by Bunny » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:37 pm

Be sure to read around the forums as much as you can, there's a lot of information here and it is easy to miss something.

This question is covered in our safety and legal FAQs found here: viewtopic.php?f=30&t=18540

Also, could you please update your profile with your age and location?

Clark

powerinnumbers

Post by powerinnumbers » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:38 pm

Hello I'm 13 years old and I was wondering if it is legal to shoot my air soft gun in my backyard, olive plenty outside of the cities but I don't have a fence. P.s. I'll be shooting in towards my house
And yes with parent supervision

Archer
MAA Member

Post by Archer » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:35 pm

If you can legally use a real rifle in your yard where you are (with proper safety checks and backstops of course), and you don't have to worry about people either walking through where you're going to be shooting or seeing from say a neighboring yard or house, i would say that it would be ok.

Best bet would be to check with your parents and if they aren't sure then can talk to your local sheriff's office to check.
Task Force Echelon - Click and like our facebook page!
OP IRENE X - T.F. Ranger - Charlie Company 1-3 Medic
OP IRENE XI - Somali Freedom Fighters 3-1 Medic
TCA Giant Airsoft Game I & II - Midwest Alliance General

Bunny
MAA Member

Post by Bunny » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:35 pm

Archer wrote:Best bet would be to check with your parents and if they aren't sure then can talk to your local sheriff's office to check.
This is the best advice for you.

Another thing to keep in mind since you're 13 years old, is that you must be under the direct supervision of one of your parents at all times while shooting your gun.

Clark

Silent_And_Deadly
Still A Newbie

Post by Silent_And_Deadly » Sat May 04, 2013 9:01 am

My Dad has a friend who's kid is 12. My parents have me hang out with him all the time. I just told him about an airsoft field here in St. Cloud. I read the ruling about minors being under 14 for MAA events, but that doesn't include open sessions at our local field does it? As long as his dad is watching him it is okay if he plays right? Thanks for the help.
Nothin Like Hockey Nothin Like Baseball and Nothin like the Ladies
JG G36C
Umarex M9 Co2 (TM M1911A1 just broke what I believe is beyond repair)
Soon to come Magpul PTS Masada CQB and VFC MK16 FN-SCAR

vashke
A Regular

Post by vashke » Sat May 04, 2013 3:54 pm

The rules can be different at each field. Generally you have to be 14 but some fields will let you play based on your maturity level or if you have a parent right next to you at all times.

It's best to check with the field before going.
Vashke

Bunny
MAA Member

Post by Bunny » Sun May 05, 2013 8:52 am

Field rules can change depending on where you are, but the laws of the state of Minnesota do not. If you are under the age of 14 you must be under the direct supervision of a parent at all times while using an airsoft gun or you are committing a crime.

Clark

Silent_And_Deadly
Still A Newbie

Post by Silent_And_Deadly » Sun May 05, 2013 3:54 pm

Ok thanks for the info.
JG G36C

Mike223

Post by Mike223 » Tue May 07, 2013 3:28 pm

So do you just get a piece of notebook paper and it says I can play and then my parents sign it?

vashke
A Regular

Post by vashke » Tue May 07, 2013 3:30 pm

If your under 18 your parents will need to sign a waiver in order to play.
Vashke

Trippy
MAA Member

Post by Trippy » Tue May 07, 2013 3:36 pm

A link to the waiver is normally posted in the event post. Here is the waiver for Big Lake, where the MAA is holding our games this year: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/518 ... Waiver.pdf
Morris Team
BATC 0509 Honor Grad
The Fastest Airsofter in Minnesota

Silent_And_Deadly
Still A Newbie

Post by Silent_And_Deadly » Tue May 07, 2013 7:29 pm

what is the ruling at my local field in St. Cloud? Do I still need my parents to sign a different waiver than the one in the link you sent trippy?
JG G36C

Tank
Team PALADIN

Post by Tank » Tue May 07, 2013 10:58 pm

You'll have to contact the field, and ask them. No one will know their policy better than them.
Team PALADIN

Silent_And_Deadly
Still A Newbie

Post by Silent_And_Deadly » Wed May 08, 2013 8:27 pm

Very valid point lol.
JG G36C

xfactor

Post by xfactor » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:16 pm

i am 16 and i have alwayse been more into being a sniper. and i recently had purchased a vsr-10 mb03 sniper rifle and if i were to go to an MAA game is there any way that i can function as a sniper or would i have to have an AEG or other gun to play??? thanks for any replys :D

Trippy
MAA Member

Post by Trippy » Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:48 am

As long as it shoots under the FPS limit, you can use whatever you want. If it shoots over, you would have to be an MAA member.

It doesn't matter what shape or action your gun is. Snipper rules don't apply until the gun is hot.
Morris Team
BATC 0509 Honor Grad
The Fastest Airsofter in Minnesota

Kronza

Post by Kronza » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:37 am

Newbie question alert:

Is it legal to use a mock-suppressor in Minnesota and Wisconsin?
The orange tip can be screwed off of my gun in place for a mock suppressor that serves as a barrel extension.

Is it legal to take of the orange tip?

Return to “Newbie info - Archive - FAQ”