The KWA Kriss IS COMING... (Review has been added)

Discuss your favorite Airsoft weaponry.

Moderators: THE ARCHANGEL, Guges Mk3

Sharpshot
MAA Member

The KWA Kriss IS COMING... (Review has been added)

Post by Sharpshot » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:54 am

And I am getting it in the mail today! :D A review of it will be coming shortly once it arrives.
Last edited by Sharpshot on Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BATC Grad Class 05/10
Gunfighter Level 1
MAA Member # 101
One of the First Airsofters to have Skydived into an airsoft event

andre
MAA Member

Re: The KWA Kriss IS COMING...

Post by andre » Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:16 pm

Nice. :D
Can't wait to see it in person.
Who did you order it through?
MAA member # 93,BATC Grad 05-10, Gun fighter level 1
http://www.ostfrontairsoft.com : Russian 198th Rifle Div.
Hero of The Soviet Union
Lion Claws veteran
Looking forward to the next MNSOC game.

Sharpshot
MAA Member

Post by Sharpshot » Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:55 pm

andre wrote:Nice. :D
Can't wait to see it in person.
Who did you order it through?
Airsoft GI. I actually preordered it in September.

BATC Grad Class 05/10
Gunfighter Level 1
MAA Member # 101

Sharpshot
MAA Member

Post by Sharpshot » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:45 pm

Here is my review of the KWA KRISS:

Pictures:

Exterior:

Build Quality: This is a very sturdy gun. I believe that the KRISS' body is made of the same type of material that they make the body of the KWA MP7 out of. There is no wobble anywhere in the gun. The Stock is very sturdy as well, and does not wiggle. As far as I can tell, it seems to be a very faithful reproduction of the KRISS.

Ergonomics:

I personally really like how this gun feels. The stock feels to be the perfect length to shoulder the weapon. The grip is comfortable to hold, and in tandem with the integrated vertical grip that it come with, it is very easy to hold and maneuver. The safety and selector switches are Ambidextrous. One feature that I personally really like as well is that the bolt catch is a lever that extends out, allowing for a crisp cocking. It is also a good thing, because the KRISS has a harder pull back than a lot of the other gas blowbacks from KWA.

Functionality:

As mentioned earlier, the safety switch, and the selector switch, are ambidextrous. The bolt catch I feel is very smartly designed, especially with the issue stated before about the pull back. The stock release switch is very crisp, and the stock swings to lock near the front of the gun, very similarly to how the stock does for the MP9 and the G36. To access the hop up, you first pull back on the bolt catch, and then the loading nozzle locks back, allowing you to use the hop up tool they provide to change the hop up, which is located in the access port on the right side of the gun. This hop up tool is not standard however, and I do not know that the standard hop up tools would be able to work due to where they put the hop up on the gun. I beleive that you need the bend that the hop up tool gives you.

For those that don't know, the KWA KRISS has three firing modes: Single, Two Round Burst, and Full Auto. The gun fires well. The Semi and Two round burst both work crisply. I have a feeling that most people though are curious about how it fires on Full auto. It seems to fire about as fast as the M-11 from KWA does. I don't believe it fires faster though. From chronoing the KRISS with KWA .25 BBs, I ended up with an average FPS range of about 290-300. My room is not the warmest though, and I could see it firing maybe 300-310 on a warm day with .25's, and maybe 340-360 with .2's.

The Magazine:
This is one of the only aspects of this gun that does slightly disappoint me.The mag for this gun is large than the average gas blowback mag of its type, BUT, it has the same magazine capacity. I understand why they designed the magazine as they did though, it allows all of the bb's to be hidden in the magwell, but what I wish they would have done it taken this opportunity to give the magazine higher capacity. The gas reservoir may be larger though.

In summary: This is another great Gas blowback from KWA. It is strongly built, and fires well.

Would I recommend people buy one: Ehhhh, maybe. With Preorders for this gun being at between $365-385, this is a very expensive gas blowback to put money towards. It appears to be a good gun, but, the real question is: is it worth the Price tag? Yes and No. It is an amazing looking gun, and it feels very solid. The features on it do make it completely unique from any other Gas Blowback that KWA has made. Is that enough to justify the price tag though? If you are in love with the KRISS, yes. IF you are a casual player whom wants a good gas gun for CQB or field? Probably not. Despite its bells and whistles, there are other gas blowback made by KWA that function just about as well for about $100 less than this. The Size of the mags will likely make it necessary to use P90 mag pouches for them. I do not think that an SMG mag pouch could fit these mags. They are too tall and too bulky. If you are a KWA Gas Gun Junky, you will not be disappointed by this gun

BATC Grad Class 05/10
Gunfighter Level 1
MAA Member # 101

La Flare
Still A Newbie

Re: The KWA Kriss IS COMING... (Review has been added)

Post by La Flare » Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:57 pm

Do you know if the mags are KWA/KSC G-series compatible?

Sharpshot
MAA Member

Post by Sharpshot » Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:20 pm

La Flare wrote:Do you know if the mags are KWA/KSC G-series compatible?
I believe they are not. The magazine looks like it was loosely based off of the Glock mag, but, they did make the magazine for the KRISS proprietary. Another note on the mags, thses are the BIGGEST magazines that KWA has made for a Gas Blowback gun. They are taller than the M11 50 round mag, the Glock Exteneded Mag, the MP9 50 round mag, the M9 49 round mag, and etc. I believe they only type of pouch that could hold these magazines safely, as I mentioned in my review, is the P90 Magazine pouch.

BATC Grad Class 05/10
Gunfighter Level 1
MAA Member # 101

Erik
MAA Member

Post by Erik » Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:59 pm

The RS Kriss uses an extended Glock 21 mag, so it makes sense that the magazines are unusually large. A mag pouch for the HK UMP might work.
110% PureBred Professional GunFighter
Team PALADIN
BATC Commandant
MAA Plank Owner
MAA Safety Officer 2001-2012
United States Army 1988-2000

Downtown
DOWNTOWN TACTICAL OWNER

Post by Downtown » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:43 pm

Put a banana on the end of that thing and I bet it would be very quiet.
TEAM LEADER - Blacksheep Airsoft(MN)
MAA Member Number: 5
OPERATION LION CLAWS SUPPORTER
OP: Northern Light CO
OP: The Ohio Project CO

slusk17
A Regular

Post by slusk17 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:16 am

Is that a Glock magazine?
Codename: Gunnar

Task Force Pallaton

Tank
Team PALADIN

Post by Tank » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:20 am

slusk17 wrote:Is that a Glock magazine?
NO, it is not. If you'd read the thread you'd know that.
MAA Member Number: 47
Team PALADIN
MAA BATC Instructor / Cadre

MCXL
Beyond Regular

Post by MCXL » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:22 pm

As stated earlier in the tread the mags are not Glock compatible. Blame KSC/KWA for not making a size accurate .45 cal Glock replica (all the airsoft glocks use the 9mm/.40 size mag). You never know though, KWA could somehow get out from under the 'Glockblocker's' eyes and make a pistol that would accept these mags, but that is very doubtful.

Sharpshot how big are your hands? I have read some complaints that it is difficult for people with smaller hands to hit the mag release and maintain positive control of the mag as it leaves the magwell (not KWA's fault).
THE SPHINX HAS SPOKEN...

Sharpshot
MAA Member

Post by Sharpshot » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:55 pm

That... Is one of the main parts of this gun that does NOT translate well for airsoft use. If you are a small handed person, I see it being impossible for you to hold the gun on target, pop the mag release, and hold the mag at the same time. I personally have very large hands, so I can get the mag in a partial beer can hold as I pop the release. Even then, I am pressing the mag release with my thumb with my four fingers around the top exposed area of the mag. It is however impossible to pop the mag release with the same hand that is holding the pistol grip of the gun. I can't confirm, but, due to the positioning of the mag release in relation to the front vertical grip, it seems like it is designed for you to be able to do drop-reloads quickly. This, of course, does not work well with airsoft when the magazines are $45-50 each.

There is actually a similar issue with the fire selector. It can not be operated with the same hand that is holding the pistol grip. I can barely reach the right side fire selector switch while holding the pistol grip. The safety switch can be operated by the hand that is holding the pistol grip, however, by alternating between your thumb and your trigger finger.

It seems like this gun is very much designed for two-handed operation.

BATC Grad Class 05/10
Gunfighter Level 1
MAA Member # 101

MCXL
Beyond Regular

Post by MCXL » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:58 am

I think the idea with the fire selector was to give the operator an easy on off safety and the flexibility of different fire modes depending on the environment in a set it and forget it manner.

As far as the mag release, it really seems like a poorly placed button.
THE SPHINX HAS SPOKEN...

La Flare
Still A Newbie

Post by La Flare » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:23 pm

MCXL wrote:As stated earlier in the tread the mags are not Glock compatible. Blame KSC/KWA for not making a size accurate .45 cal Glock replica (all the airsoft glocks use the 9mm/.40 size mag). You never know though, KWA could somehow get out from under the 'Glockblocker's' eyes and make a pistol that would accept these mags, but that is very doubtful.
That would be pretty cool. The vector mags fit very nicely (flush with the grip) into Glock 21's.

Sharpshot
MAA Member

Post by Sharpshot » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:03 pm

Update: There are now Short Mags, and G&P has released a flashlight designed for it.
http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/kriss-vector ... y-kwa.html
http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/g-p-t1-cree- ... 1-cree-led

As far as the short mags go, Reloads on the KRISS are hard enough with the long mags, where you can barely get them into a beer can hold. These short mags will definitely require two handed operation when reloading. One hand operating the mag release, and the other catching the damn mag...

BATC Grad Class 05/10
Gunfighter Level 1
MAA Member # 101

Sharpshot
MAA Member

Post by Sharpshot » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:29 pm

Another small update:
I have tested the large mags in some P90 mag pouches. They fit perfectly :D.

BATC Grad Class 05/10
Gunfighter Level 1
MAA Member # 101

Uncle Acid
A Regular

Post by Uncle Acid » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:33 am

Thanks for the informative write up. I was wondering how the Kriss would turn out. It's too bad about the magazines not having a higher capacity considering their size. Still a very interesting gun and a good review.
Team DOLPH
Uncle Acid the Rainman

lilpapi95
Somewhat Regular

Post by lilpapi95 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:14 pm

Are you guys ready for the AEG version of KWA Kriss? :D I am!!!!
-Hagen-
---------------------------------------
Unknown Airsoft.
Wargames Operator
---------------------------------------
G&P Vltor M4
DPMS M16A1
Vfc 416

Sharpshot
MAA Member

Post by Sharpshot » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:57 pm

It will be interesting to see how they pull this off. With the location of the magazine well, the gearbox will have a very small amount of real-estate to be housed in. I think this will definitely have to be a proprietary design, probably closer to an AEP. In any case, due to where the hop up will have to be based on the location of the magwell, the barrel will be very short.

BATC Grad Class 05/10
Gunfighter Level 1
MAA Member # 101

Rekkon
MAA Member

Post by Rekkon » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:05 pm

MAA Member #92

Tank
Team PALADIN

Post by Tank » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:17 pm

It's worded weirdly. They eliminated the EXCLUSIVE licensing agreement with KWA. So the question is, will KWA be allowed to continue producing the KRISS?
Team PALADIN

Tank
Team PALADIN

Post by Tank » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:53 pm

So for those interested...
KWA can no longer produce the GBB Kriss Vector. Over 1/2 of the KWA USA staff has quit.
KWA says they will still produce magazines and spare parts, but the Kriss Vector itself is gone as far as KWA goes. If you want one, buy it now before they're gone. They will be able to sell what ever they that was produced prior to Kriss dumping them. That said I suspect the numbers of said guns are very low. (As many people are no doubt aware, KWA has been having some production issues in general.)

Who knew the KWA Kriss Vector would become a collector's item after less than 6 months of production.
Team PALADIN

Sharpshot
MAA Member

Post by Sharpshot » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:02 pm

Looks like the same thing is happening with anything in the HK line of guns. It sounds like Umarex and KWA are not longer making deals.

BATC Grad Class 05/10
Gunfighter Level 1
MAA Member # 101

SeawolfIV
A Regular

Post by SeawolfIV » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:48 am

Tank wrote: Over 1/2 of the KWA USA staff has quit.
Out of curiosity, what caused that?
Light a fire for a man, he'll be warm for a night; light a man on fire, he'll be warm the rest of his life.
Winnie the Pooh wrote:Oh brother
as he chambered another round.

Tank
Team PALADIN

Post by Tank » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:20 am

SeawolfIV wrote:
Tank wrote: Over 1/2 of the KWA USA staff has quit.
Out of curiosity, what caused that?
I don't know what specifically caused it but, from what I hear through the grapevine, they've been having some troubles for a while. Allen (a.k.a. "Allizard") the product manager left KWA to go to work for Kriss. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the folks that left went with Allen over to Kriss.
Team PALADIN

Return to “Guns Discussion”