a paper

Discuss your favorite Airsoft weaponry.

Moderators: THE ARCHANGEL, Guges Mk3

TheCalliton
Needs to play more and post less

a paper

Post by TheCalliton » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:15 pm

hey all, i have to do a paper on a process
so i decided to do mine on how to choose the right weapons platform for airsoft!
so instead of floundering around in my mind for something coherent enough, i figured i would ask you all and get your input!
the forum would be mentioned obviously as my source (sources arent required, so thats why it is just one)
so please help me out, how would YOU choose between an AR or an AK or a G36 or any common gun
Catch your enemies in a web of defeat.

frodo
Still A Newbie

Re: a paper

Post by frodo » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:17 pm

i would sure like that new gas AK that kwa annonced at shot show

TheCalliton

Post by TheCalliton » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:21 pm

i need a WHY
your process of choosing a gun, not just what you would like
WHY you would choose an AK or an AR
WHY you would choose gas over electric

Capt. Kill
MAA Member

Post by Capt. Kill » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:24 pm

Consider writing your paper on the process of how an AEG gearbox shoots a plastic BB. It has defined steps and you'll learn something at the same time. 8)
BATC Honor Graduate Class 07/08

"Man's way to reach God is religion; God's way to reach man is Jesus Christ." C.J. Mahaney
BD:6/17/84

Viper
MAA Member

Post by Viper » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:29 pm

Isn't the "why" the point of your paper? Maybe you should do your own homework....

Less snarky response: the decision process is influenced greatly by personal preference, and budget. If you're set on writing a paper about airsoft (it seems a lot of people are doing this :? ), you'd probably be better off with Capt. Kill's idea; there's no 1 way to pick a gun, so there's really no hard and fast process.

The "what gun should I buy" question has been asked, and answered, on these boards over and over and over. Find those posts and read the replies of people's suggestions for getting a new gun, and that should give you a good idea of the 'process' people use to pick out a gun.
Viper - Morris Team
MAA Member #73
BATC 05/10 #104

TheCalliton

Post by TheCalliton » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:31 pm

i was hoping people had some way of deciding so i could have steps
for instance i could start with the weight
i have other ideas, i just felt this would be a fun one to do

thatguyonline
A Regular

Post by thatguyonline » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:33 pm

A simple search of "what gun should I get". Or a similar one should give you plenty of material.
Call-sign:Excalibur
Leader of Black Wood Company
"I know you can fight. But it's our wits that make us men." -Malcolm Wallace

Airsoft is not about winning or losing, it's about playing safely, with respect and all of the good times that we have.

TheCalliton

Post by TheCalliton » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:44 pm

thatguyonline wrote:A simple search of "what gun should I get". Or a similar one should give you plenty of material.
it wont let me
all those words are too common it says

Touchette
MAA Member

Post by Touchette » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:48 pm

The process to picking out a gun in airsoft is simple...

Step 1: Figure out what you like.
Step 2: Buy it.

I would suggest choosing a different process that will be simpler to write about, something with less ambiguity such a the process of disassembling a gearbox. That's just me though.
Touchette
(Pronounced Two-Shay)

TheCalliton

Post by TheCalliton » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:49 pm

Touchette wrote:The process to picking out a gun in airsoft is simple...

Step 1: Figure out what you like.
Step 2: Buy it.

I would suggest choosing a different process that will be simpler to write about, something with less ambiguity such a the process of disassembling a gearbox. That's just me though.
alright, ill choose another

thanks for the help anyways, everyone

Trippy
MAA Member

Post by Trippy » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:55 pm

TheCalliton wrote:
thatguyonline wrote:A simple search of "what gun should I get". Or a similar one should give you plenty of material.
it wont let me
all those words are too common it says
That alone should tell you something. The topic is asked so often that you can't even search for it any more. Hell, a simple word search on the first few pages of the Guns Forum should bring you several threads with almost that exact topic. Stop having us do your super-simple research for you.

Based on your listed age and the fact that you don't need any sources, I'm guessing this is for Intro to College Writing or something similar, and that the professors reasoning behind the assignment is to get you to think of a process and then have you explain that process. These types of things don't have to be difficult, and are normally easier if it is something tangible, such as how steel is made or how to change a tire. I gave a speech on how to mail a letter. don't think deeply.

Beyond that, seeing that it is for school, and especially if I guessed wrong and it is for a high school paper, I suggest staying away from gun topics. Gun + Schools = Bad Shit nowadays.
Morris Team
BATC 0509 Honor Grad
The Fastest Airsofter in Minnesota

TheCalliton

Post by TheCalliton » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:58 pm

teacher said we can do ANY topic
someone asked "can we do one about how to make a bomb?" he said it was ok
so the topic doesnt matter to the teacher, but ill pick something easier to write about

Viper
MAA Member

Post by Viper » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:02 pm

Weight isn't even one of my priorities for picking out a gun.

I assume this is in the context of primaries, not backups/sidearms. Then the first question is:
  • AEG, springer, or gas.
That's pretty easily decided. Do you want to be able to use it reliably and throughout the year? If so, you can probably rule out gas. So get an AEG.

I already have a lot of AEGs, so if I were to get another, this is the process I would use. Picking a first AEG is very similar, except the answer to the first question is "No", and your price limit is probably going to be a lot different.
  • For me the first consideration is what role am I trying to fill with this gun; do I need a new gun to fill a role in a themed game, or to play at a game with weapon restrictions?
    • Yes: that right there will probably tell you if you're looking for a rifle, LMG, SMG, shotgun, and probably even what model (AK-47, M16VN, M1 Garand, whatever).
    • No: if you're not buying it to fit some specific requirement, what are you buying it for? Do you want something better for CQB, or maybe you need something for outdoors games? Basically are you looking for an automatic rifle, DMR type rifle, LMG, SMG, PDW, or shotgun? Once you've decided this, you can start picking out models. For me, I have pretty well defined tastes, so that's easy. I like ARs, MP5s, M14s, and maybe AKs. What do YOU like?
  • Ok, so now you know what type of gun you're looking for. The next step is to figure out how much you're looking to spend. Be sure to include the costs of magazines, batteries, and anything else you might need, like mag pouches. Once you know how much you want to spend, you know what you can eliminate from the running.
  • Once you know what you're looking for, and how much you're willing to spend, you probably want to decide what manufacturer you're going to buy from. This is usually pretty easy: if your price limit is low, you're looking at clones like JG, Echo1, Cyma, or sport-line series guns (CA and G&G). If your limit is fairly decent, you're looking at TM, KWA, G&G, CA, GP, and some others. Go with whichever company you like the best -- most guns from a manufacturer will perform about the same, so you're picking a brand long before you're picking a specific model. For me the usual criteria is:
    • Reliability
    • Reliability
    • Reliability
  • At this point, you know what type of gun you want (generally speaking, e.g. M4), how much you can spend, and what manufacture. It's cake at this point! Look at all the guns that match the first three requirements, and then pick the one that's most pleasing to you. You've already narrowed down the type, so this will usually be little details like rails and accessories.
Keep in mind though, this is going to be totally different from person to person.
Viper - Morris Team
MAA Member #73
BATC 05/10 #104

thatguyonline
A Regular

Post by thatguyonline » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:17 pm

Sorry I thought that search should work...

If it was me I would not do guns either. My brother did a project for school and he had to resubmit taking out some parts involving guns. lol.

The post above me looks amazing. It looks worthy of a highschool final draft!

Airsoft is not about winning or losing, it's about playing safely, with respect and all of the good times that we have.

TheCalliton

Post by TheCalliton » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:25 pm

JudgeViper wrote:Weight isn't even one of my priorities for picking out a gun.

I assume this is in the context of primaries, not backups/sidearms. Then the first question is:
  • AEG, springer, or gas.
That's pretty easily decided. Do you want to be able to use it reliably and throughout the year? If so, you can probably rule out gas. So get an AEG.

I already have a lot of AEGs, so if I were to get another, this is the process I would use. Picking a first AEG is very similar, except the answer to the first question is "No", and your price limit is probably going to be a lot different.
  • For me the first consideration is what role am I trying to fill with this gun; do I need a new gun to fill a role in a themed game, or to play at a game with weapon restrictions?
    • Yes: that right there will probably tell you if you're looking for a rifle, LMG, SMG, shotgun, and probably even what model (AK-47, M16VN, M1 Garand, whatever).
    • No: if you're not buying it to fit some specific requirement, what are you buying it for? Do you want something better for CQB, or maybe you need something for outdoors games? Basically are you looking for an automatic rifle, DMR type rifle, LMG, SMG, PDW, or shotgun? Once you've decided this, you can start picking out models. For me, I have pretty well defined tastes, so that's easy. I like ARs, MP5s, M14s, and maybe AKs. What do YOU like?
  • Ok, so now you know what type of gun you're looking for. The next step is to figure out how much you're looking to spend. Be sure to include the costs of magazines, batteries, and anything else you might need, like mag pouches. Once you know how much you want to spend, you know what you can eliminate from the running.
  • Once you know what you're looking for, and how much you're willing to spend, you probably want to decide what manufacturer you're going to buy from. This is usually pretty easy: if your price limit is low, you're looking at clones like JG, Echo1, Cyma, or sport-line series guns (CA and G&G). If your limit is fairly decent, you're looking at TM, KWA, G&G, CA, GP, and some others. Go with whichever company you like the best -- most guns from a manufacturer will perform about the same, so you're picking a brand long before you're picking a specific model. For me the usual criteria is:
    • Reliability
    • Reliability
    • Reliability
  • At this point, you know what type of gun you want (generally speaking, e.g. M4), how much you can spend, and what manufacture. It's cake at this point! Look at all the guns that match the first three requirements, and then pick the one that's most pleasing to you. You've already narrowed down the type, so this will usually be little details like rails and accessories.
Keep in mind though, this is going to be totally different from person to person.
100% what i needed to get the ball rolling
thanks a ton

Viper
MAA Member

Post by Viper » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:28 pm

I'd agree that it's probably best not to do it about guns; it's just a general area that is realistically best kept out of the classroom. I would also advise going with a much more quantitative and straight-forward process -- maybe doing taxes! (j/k)
thatguyonline wrote:The post above me looks amazing. It looks worthy of a highschool final draft!
Only highschool? I'm no writer, but I would have thought my writing had improved a bit in the 7 years since high school :P
Viper - Morris Team
MAA Member #73
BATC 05/10 #104

TheCalliton

Post by TheCalliton » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:29 pm

guns are fine, i asked my teacher even
ont he two papers he has given us so far, we have a purpose. Other than a purpose we have free range. Obviously how to dissect ahuman being wouldnt be allowed, neither would how to do a satanic ritual

Trippy
MAA Member

Post by Trippy » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:38 pm

TheCalliton wrote:Obviously how to dissect ahuman being wouldnt be allowed, neither would how to do a satanic ritual
Really? Because both of those can have real world applications, and based on what you decide to major in in college, you might even partake.

Biology Major > Anatomy > Cadaver labs
Anthropology/Sociology/extra curricular > Random May Term class > resurrecting pets.
Morris Team
BATC 0509 Honor Grad

TheCalliton

Post by TheCalliton » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:42 pm

christian school
hobbys are fine, other religions and gore are not... surprised they let me do my speech on why not all heavy metal is evil. I go to an... odd school

thatguyonline
A Regular

Post by thatguyonline » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:48 pm

Taking people apart saves lives. Wow... Weird school. Scary.

Your writing is so amazing I was in shock. I meant to say college.

Trippy
MAA Member

Post by Trippy » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:53 pm

thatguyonline wrote:Your writing is so amazing I was in shock. I meant to say college.
Poor Andy.
Morris Team
BATC 0509 Honor Grad

mau5
Extremely Regular

Post by mau5 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:37 pm

I'm really into mechanics so this might be more of a personal thing, but I'd do it on how all of the components of an airsoft gun achieve the simple desired effect to launch a plastic BB. Starting with a battery and specifications/definitions on terms with that (mAh, IR, niMH, niCD, LiPo, etc), then wiring (deans/tamiya, etc), then motors (long/short, speed vs torque, check stuff on guges' post on some motor specs, it's a sticky somewhere), then gears (material, ratio, how they're kept in place, the knob that pulls back the nozzle to let the BB in, the final gear half-sided with teeth), piston and cylinder (v1,2,3), cylinder head, nozzle, hop-up, barrel, ballistics, magazine feeding, BBs, pros and cons of plastic vs metal interiors and exteriors, different gearbox types and their pros and cons (v7 runs easier or something, v2s can have a front cracking problem). There's more than enough for a few pages' worth of material on the operation, and that's without going into the history of the stuff.

Just suggestin, hope it gives you some ideas! now I need help on my english 10 page paper I'm 2 weeks behind on, haha
good luck! :mrgreen:

thatguyonline
A Regular

Post by thatguyonline » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:16 am

Sorry for the thread hijack but I have been thinking and JudgeViper's post needs to be a sticky. Then when ever people ask how to pick a gun the reply is one copy and paste away! :)

Larzon
A Regular

Post by Larzon » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:26 pm

thatguyonline wrote:Sorry for the thread hijack but I have been thinking and JudgeViper's post needs to be a sticky. Then when ever people ask how to pick a gun the reply is one copy and paste away! :)
I totally agree.
Kid at CP- Dude you should totaly call your hits!
Me- Dude I was totaly totaly taking pictures.
"Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at the testing point." -C.S. Lewis-

Moose
A Regular

Post by Moose » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:33 pm

This is a great topic for a paper.
I think it is common for any serious enthusiast of aisoft to go through a process of aquisition and trial to determine which weapon and gear is right for them.
This is personal and unique to each individual and is exemplified by the number of weapons resold and traded to get it right.
Possiblly the choice of weapon did not work out, or the perceived need had changed and evolved.

The criteria of what guns and gear are best suited are as unique as the individual and which takes precedence in priority;

Reliabilty
Tactical Application - suppresive fire - CQB - range and accuracy
Coolnes Factor - emulation of a particular scenario
Ergonomics - how its function fits both the individuals body and skills set
Ability to customize and upgrade
Standardization to conform to a team or unit

As in any process, it has unlimited variables as to where it starts and where it winds up, if it ever does reach a conclusion.

With respect,
moose
There is room for all of God's creatures ... right next to the mashed potatoes.

Guges Mk3
MAA Member

Post by Guges Mk3 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:01 am

You guys haven't actually read DumboRat's FAQ have you?
I rather use a "nightmare" that shoots like a dream over something that looks like a "dream" but shoots like a nightmare.

Don't fear the gun...fear the one that's wielding it!

thetaco
Exceptionally Regular

Post by thetaco » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:04 am

I havent. Im interested in it. got a link?
"Courage isn't that you can see what lies ahead; courage means you will advance not knowing but doing at all costs."
Byron Pulsifer

Moose
A Regular

Post by Moose » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:15 am

I tried a search for DumboRat without success.
As usual Guges please enlighten us, if you would sir.
With respect,
moose

mau5
Extremely Regular

Post by mau5 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:23 am

Guges Mk3
MAA Member

Post by Guges Mk3 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:18 am

Mau5 link is it.

We had a copy on our boards to, I cannot find it either.

The guy is a Doctor and he had some really good info. Like what aluminum bb's did to people, especially an eye. And I mean not hitting an eye at speed, but just the metal being rubbed on the surface. It can cause an inflammatory condition of some sort.

His information is dated, but it is a good foundation for building on airsoft knowledge.
I rather use a "nightmare" that shoots like a dream over something that looks like a "dream" but shoots like a nightmare.

Don't fear the gun...fear the one that's wielding it!

TheCalliton

Post by TheCalliton » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:15 pm

hey there
finished it. i know that not everyone will agree with me, so keep any crap to yourself please. critsism is welcome, but don't go bashing me for something I said that you disagree with.
To my teacher, i wrote this on the date of Febuary 14 2011, i say this because my teacher does check online so i don't want to get in trouble.
-Gunnar Hassing
turning this in later today, so wish me luck!

P.S. judgeviper is not mentioned by name because he didn't want to be.

How to pick a proper airsoft rifle.
Gunnar H.

Airsoft can be an intense sport. You often simulate real combat, and even famous military battles. Airsoft guns propel small plastic BBs at a high velocity, but many people do not know how to pick a proper gun and can often get a bad deal. In this paper I will outline one way to pick a good gun.

The first step before even considering what gun to get is, "Do I even want to do airsoft?" This is a good question to ask yourself. Airsoft can become very intense, and injuries are not a rare sight on the field. After you have considered this, go get a pair of heavy duty goggles. Can't do airsoft if you are blind in one eye. Safety is important in airsoft, and if you do not have the proper equipment you will not be allowed on the field. Even spectators need proper eye protection. Just a paintball mask will be enough for most airsoft games.

Now that you are geared up, you can start the process of getting your gun. Many questions are bound to pop into your head like "Should I get an M16 or an AK47?" Well forget those for now, you need to figure out what kind of propulsion system you are going to use first. I will be outlining the process of picking out an electric gun, but it is good to know the basics of the other two systems.

When picking out a gun you can choose from an AEG (auto electric gun) Compressed gas, and spring (where you cock the gun before each shot). Most people will go for an AEG due to the fact that they run longer than gas, are easier to reload, and end up being cheaper. Most people will also get a springer (spring rifle) as a backup, since AEGs are more prone to break than a reliable springer rifle.

Now that you know what system to go with, you must figure out what kind of role or situation you will be playing in. Most avid airsofters have multiple AEGs, springer, and gas guns for different situations. First off you must ask yourself if you are filling a historical or specific role. You won't be allowed into a Vietnam reenactment with a SCAR-H (a modern issued rifle) Likewise you won’t be allowed in a simulation of today's combat with an M-1 Garand (a WW1 rifle). Before getting a gun for a specific time period, contact someone who knows allot about history, it can save you time and money. This will dictate what kind of gun you need, so skip the next two paragraphs if you want a historical gun.

If you need to fill a certain role, like a sniper or a gunner, you need to get a gun that will fill that role. Sniper rifles, generally, are springers. This is so that they are more reliable and can afford a larger spring. The MAA (Minnesota Airsoft Association) allows a higher FPS (Feet per second) for springer sniper rifles, but they also increase the engagement range. For a gunner position you will want to get something with a larger magazine. The M-60 would be a good example, but there are other options. If you want to fill a specific role, skip the next paragraph.

There are different places to play airsoft. If you aren’t trying to fill a specific role or time period, you need to at least pick a gun that is proper for the field. There are two basic field types. Open and CQB (Close quarter battle). For an open field, such as a wooden area or a field, you will want something a little longer. Examples of such would be an M14 or an AK47. The most common gun you will see is the M4. For CQB you will want an SMG (sub machine gun), a pistol, or a shotgun. SMGs are your best bet, because most of them will be an AEG. A pistol is good to have with you regardless of where you play. Shotguns, specifically tri-bursts, are good for CQB. They are usually pump action, accurate at short distances, and light weight. Remember to get what YOU like. You can use an SMG out in woodlands if you want. You can use an AEG in a building if you want, so long as the FPS is within the legal limit for a CQB game.

Once you have your gear, where you want to play, and what kind of role you want to fill, you can take a look at your budget. I will focus on AEGs since you will most likely want to get one. Some brands are cheaper, like JG and Cyma. They sell clones (cheaper remakes of better brands). If you have a decent budget you can look at brands like G&G and KWA. Regardless of your budget you have to look at one criterion. RELIABILITY! It is better to have a gun that looks like an elephant sat on it that works amazingly, than a gun that looks like God made it that shoots like a cap gun.

Once you figure out what brand you want to trust, you can figure out what model to get (if you haven't already). There are things to consider when picking a gun. Weight might be an issue for you. If you aren't as strong as the average Joe, don't go get a light machine gun. If you have longer arms, don't go get an MP5-K. If you want a reliable body, remember that good plastic is stronger than cheap metal. Other things should be thought about. Do you want to be able to add attachments, or leave it as is? Do you want a folding stock or adjustable, no stock, or a solid stock? If you want a larger battery, which entails a longer battery life and better gun performance, you will want a solid stock that doesn't fold or bend or adjust or anything like that.

The MAA requires that an airsoft gun shoots under 450 FPS with BBs that wait .20 grams. With an engagement distance of no less than 10 feet. So be sure to include that when going through that final stage of picking your gun. Also know that if an airsoft gun's internals are not what you want a year from now, most guns are upgradable. Just because you get a 200$ AEG doesn't mean you can't switch the internals out for a higher performance model later on.

Remember that you should like your gun. You may not have a 500$ real metal and wood M14, or a five thousand dollar mini-gun, but you still have a gun that YOU picked out. It doesn't matter what anyone else says about your gun. Even if you bought it at a sporting goods store. If it holds up in combat, it is a good gun. So go out there and see if you got a good gun.

BIBLIOGRAPHY
A helpful person from the MAA forum http://forum.mnairsoft.org/

TheCalliton

Post by TheCalliton » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:54 pm

dangit, coulda sword M-1 was WW1
and yes, a few spelling mistakes that spell check didnt catch :/
thanks

Capt. Kill
MAA Member

Post by Capt. Kill » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:12 pm

I would change up the last sentence to "go out and enjoy your new airsoft gun". I would change it because your process should have helped you decide how to get a decent gun. In your opening paragraph your process states it will help on how to choose a good gun, then the closing statement says to use trial and error to see if you got a good gun. I would also put the $ sign in front of the number, and delete the sentence "With an engagement distance of no less than 10 feet." The sentence doesn't quite fit as it pertains to gameplay and not a gun paramiter. Just throwing it out there.

"Man's way to reach God is religion; God's way to reach man is Jesus Christ." C.J. Mahaney

TheCalliton

Post by TheCalliton » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:35 pm

Capt. Kill wrote:I would change up the last sentence to "go out and enjoy your new airsoft gun". I would change it because your process should have helped you decide how to get a decent gun. In your opening paragraph your process states it will help on how to choose a good gun, then the closing statement says to use trial and error to see if you got a good gun. I would also put the $ sign in front of the number, and delete the sentence "With an engagement distance of no less than 10 feet." The sentence doesn't quite fit as it pertains to gameplay and not a gun paramiter. Just throwing it out there.
thank you
i tend to miss things like that, so having everyone read it really helps me
turning it in tomorrow, so ill tell you what i got when i get my paper back

edit: i had that 10 feet in there for information, i didnt wanna tell about getting a gun without the rules. Made sense to me, but i think ill get rid of it

Capt. Kill
MAA Member

Post by Capt. Kill » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:38 pm

Great, good luck!

Moose
A Regular

Post by Moose » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:57 pm

Good job! Nicely done sir.

As a wise man once said,"where does the knowlege end".

With respect,
moose

TheCalliton

Post by TheCalliton » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:30 am

wish me luck, all
i turn it in today

TheCalliton

Post by TheCalliton » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:16 pm

it went great, guys!
read my paper out loud, and everyone thought it was great! My teacher was surprised to know that there is such a variety and indepth world of airsoft!
thanks so much for helping me, everyone

TheCalliton

Post by TheCalliton » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:01 am

i got a high B on the paper
thanks a ton for the help everyone!

Return to “Guns Discussion”