58%
New Mpeg (medium priced electric gun) or "Clone" gun
42%

Total votes: 19

Eh_Well
Exceptionally Regular

Used Hpeg vs New Mpeg

Post by Eh_Well » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:11 pm

with the clone market becoming more and more competitive, and the high priced guns... Well still being high priced, a question has come up in my mind. What would be a better idea? To purchase a used Hpeg (high priced electric gun) such as CA, TM etc or a brand new Mpeg (medium priced electric gun) or Clone's. Now naturally brand and model differences matter, and of course if you're a wiz with a gearbox you might as well buy a broken gun and fix it, but I'm talking about someone with perhaps a little to medium knowledge of a gearbox (or in my case is just too lazy to open a gear box up unless absolutely necessary) and speaking strictly in general.

This thought occurred to me when I was deciding between purchasing either a used Hpeg AK (CA, TM, etc) or buying a new Mpeg AK (Cyma, JG, Echo1 etc) for, more or less, a project gun.

But anyway I think it would be interesting to see your opinions, and remember, we are speaking in GENERAL, and assuming price is around the same for each.
Last edited by Eh_Well on Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Erik
MAA Member

Re: Used Hpeg vs New Mpeg

Post by Erik » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:27 pm

MPEG is usually meant to mean "Medium-Powered Electric Gun." It's similar to LPEG, which means "Low Powered Electric Gun."

I've never heard the term HPEG. You are better off to say what you mean than to use acronyms.

That aside, I have several JG and CYMA guns, and I like them very much. There's no reason not to buy one. VORT3X is an excellent source for these, but if you want to pay more you can also get them from Airsoft GI.

The problem with used guns is you don't know their real status (kind of like buying a used car). I'd say figure out what you can afford, and buy that.
110% PureBred Professional GunFighter
Team PALADIN
BATC Commandant
MAA Plank Owner
MAA Safety Officer 2001-2012
United States Army 1988-2000

Eh_Well
Exceptionally Regular

Post by Eh_Well » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:37 pm

Those are the acronyms I first learned when I got into airsoft. From a USA sight, not this one, different cultures I suppose. Though I can't think of what else to call TMs, CAs, or other high priced guns, they don't really have a name. Anyway I'll throw in my two cents.

Generally I would rather purchase a new clone gun, simply because if you do have the ability to open a gearbox, then when something breaks, you can fix it. Plus, with the increased quality that we are seeing in clone guns recently, you aren't getting much less, except for in QC, but most (good) airsoft retailers have a warranty service any way. With all that in mind, you really don't know what you are getting with a used gun, it could be near it's breaking point already.

Of course, buy what you can afford, I already have an M14 hovering around $500, but I still have money left over from working last summer and want a project gun. Used CAs and TMs tend to be around the same price as new clones.

Oh and +1 to Vort3x, if you're buying a new gun, go to him FIRST. Unfortunately he only has one cyma AK currently in stock though.
Last edited by Eh_Well on Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MPLS GUERILLA
Almost A Regular

Post by MPLS GUERILLA » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:24 pm

I know it says "newbie" on the right but I'm definitely not new to airsoft, I just am new to these boards. With that being said, a new clone just makes more sense to me. Like you said, I would feel like I was going into a deal blind if I bought a used gun as i wouldn't know what i was getting.

Not being a whizz with gearboxes either, I wouldn't have much of a way of telling if one was in good condition other than the obvious defects and broken pieces. Granted TM is the way to go when compared to any of the options, it's still used and would scare me and from what I hear, even new CAs have their own gearbox issues.

Just my humble opinion

Christian
MPLS GUERILLA

Guges Mk3
MAA Member

Post by Guges Mk3 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:22 am

Eh_Well wrote:... but most (good) airsoft retailers have a great warranty service any way...
That's funny...they service "nothing". They replace the items and toss the broken one into a future scratch and dent sale pile. Its not like servicing appliances or cars.

And "Great" is a relative term....great to one is to be expected for another...
I rather use a "nightmare" that shoots like a dream over something that looks like a "dream" but shoots like a nightmare.

Don't fear the gun...fear the one that's wielding it!

Eh_Well
Exceptionally Regular

Post by Eh_Well » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:31 pm

Yeah... I don't know why I said great, it usually is not. But at the very least you can get it replaced in most cases. With a used gun if it breaks in a week you're SOL

And so, speaking in relative, the warranty with SOME retailers is great compared to buying a used gun. :P

master7000
Almost A Regular

Post by master7000 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:45 pm

The CYMA CM028 AK-47 is a clone right?

Eh_Well
Exceptionally Regular

Post by Eh_Well » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:56 pm

Yep it is. I'm pretty sure all of Cyma's guns are clones.

Guges Mk3
MAA Member

Post by Guges Mk3 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:12 pm

All guns are technically "clones" of the original TM.

I put that out there to muddy up the waters.

The ICS split box is not a clone, nor is the systema ptw, they are unique.
I rather use a "nightmare" that shoots like a dream over something that looks like a "dream" but shoots like a nightmare.

Don't fear the gun...fear the one that's wielding it!

Eh_Well
Exceptionally Regular

Post by Eh_Well » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:45 pm

Haha yeah I'm aware of that Guges, but generally people understand what you mean when you're talking about a "clone" gun, and that's why I put it in quotations.

Return to “Guns Discussion”