how do those 'grenade launchers' work?

Discuss your favorite Airsoft weaponry.

Moderators: THE ARCHANGEL, Guges Mk3

b.lee.swagger
Regular

how do those 'grenade launchers' work?

Post by b.lee.swagger » Fri Dec 25, 2009 1:23 pm

i am kinda curious on how those grenade launchers work.

1. how exactly do they work? i am under the impression that you fill if with gas and bbs, and then put it in the grenade, and pull the trigger and the trigger taps a 'button' lets call it, and the center of the grenade. so, the grenade is basicly a big centerfire rifle cartradge.
2. what is the matenence on these things?
3. is it a general rule that if you load less bbs in the grenade, the further it goes?

are they really worth it? sounds like unless you spend the cash and get a really nice one, they arent worth it.
Sipma02

Shodan
MAA Member

Re: how do those 'grenade launchers' work?

Post by Shodan » Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:59 pm

They launch Grenades.

Kidding.

They're pretty much the same as real greandes, except instead of high explosive death dealing, you get a shotgun-effect of bbs, or a foam rocket/slug, It all depends on what shells you use. I assume the maintence is the same as a GBB mag- silicone oil, keep a bit of gas in it to keep the o-rings from drying up.
BATC Grad 5-09
"Youthinkthisisafkkingame DUDE?!?"

b.lee.swagger
Regular

Post by b.lee.swagger » Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:37 pm

but what triggers them? is it lik a cenerfire rifle shell?
Sipma02

Shodan
MAA Member

Post by Shodan » Fri Dec 25, 2009 4:36 pm

As i said before, they're pretty much the same as real grenades, so yes.
BATC Grad 5-09
"Youthinkthisisafkkingame DUDE?!?"

master7000
Almost A Regular

Post by master7000 » Fri Dec 25, 2009 6:34 pm

here's a video that somewhat tells you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWk4eAGHL9Q

Bunny
MAA Member

Post by Bunny » Fri Dec 25, 2009 10:05 pm

b.lee.swagger wrote:but what triggers them? is it lik a cenerfire rifle shell?
In very general form, yes. The trigger releases a firing pin which strikes a "button" on the back of the grenade, firing it.

In actual function, they are nothing alike. An airsoft grenade is basically a very large GBB magazine, the "button" on the back in a release valve that allows gas to rush into the multiple barrels and fire BBs.

Clark
MAA Member 70. BATC Grad 05-10. Chicago Swordplay Guild Member - Ferrum non Verbum.
Morris Team - The Bearded One

crazy8
Extremely Regular

Post by crazy8 » Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:31 pm

It might be better to thing of an airsoft grenade much like a shotgun blast. You pull the trigger and MANY bbs come flying out in a spray. You can pick a grenade based on how many bbs will fit in it.
Weapons:
Tokyo Marui M1911 M.E.U
KWA M4A1

Soon to come:
KSC G17

b.lee.swagger
Regular

Post by b.lee.swagger » Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:15 am

so basicly the airsoft equivlant of a shotgun shell?
Sipma02

Guges Mk3
MAA Member

Post by Guges Mk3 » Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:43 am

Yes
I rather use a "nightmare" that shoots like a dream over something that looks like a "dream" but shoots like a nightmare.

Don't fear the gun...fear the one that's wielding it!

b.lee.swagger
Regular

Post by b.lee.swagger » Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:14 am

sweet
Sipma02

Deathwatch
Somewhat Regular

Post by Deathwatch » Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:50 pm

yes.

Eh_Well
Exceptionally Regular

Post by Eh_Well » Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:50 pm

sweet

MCXL
Beyond Regular

Post by MCXL » Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:18 pm

Guges Mk3 wrote:Yes
b.lee.swagger wrote:sweet
Deathwatch wrote:yes.
Eh_Well wrote:sweet
BEST THREAD EVER! Deep conversation for the win!
THE SPHINX HAS SPOKEN...

Guges Mk3
MAA Member

Post by Guges Mk3 » Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:24 pm

Yep
I rather use a "nightmare" that shoots like a dream over something that looks like a "dream" but shoots like a nightmare.

elonaman
Exceedingly Regular

Post by elonaman » Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:03 pm

Si.
E loan ah man= Elonaman
Insert witty comment here ( )

beanz27
A Regular

Post by beanz27 » Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:45 pm

How far does a grenade laucher launch?
Is it Harley time yet?

Guges Mk3
MAA Member

Post by Guges Mk3 » Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:08 pm

It depends....

beanz27
A Regular

Post by beanz27 » Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:28 pm

Well, is there any sort of average distance?
Is it Harley time yet?

MCXL
Beyond Regular

Post by MCXL » Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:49 am

To many variables. Each model of grenade is different, plus gas type used.

As little as 30 feet to as much as 300 (with lofting)

Also there are ones that shoot foam slugs, rockets, paintballs.
THE SPHINX HAS SPOKEN...

Jin
Posting King

Post by Jin » Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:25 am

I like the Madbull 48rd shells myself. Load them up with 0.2g BBs and Red Gas and you'll get around 100 feet range with a 8'x8' spread at max range in 70° - 80° temperatures. Propane will work fine as well if you don't have any Red Gas around, but the range will drop to around 80 feet.
MAA Member #83
Every once in a while, when they aren't getting incinerated in lava, crushed under rock slides, or devoured by dragons, goblins experience moments of unmitigated glory in battle.

Gir
MAA Member

Post by Gir » Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:43 pm

Shodan wrote:They're pretty much the same as real grenades
Shodan wrote:As i said before, they're pretty much the same as real grenades, so yes.
I have NO idea how you came up with that. The only real part about them is the look (which all airsoft stuff looks real), and how you load them (again, all airsoft stuff is like that).

A real M203 will be propelled out the barrel and explode on impact, or depending in the round, explode after a designated time (Star-Bursts, Flares, and some newer HE rounds).

But no, they act NOTHING like the real ones. The real ones are launched from the M203, the airsoft ones are a large group of BBs launched from inside the shell.

And no, you don't need anything to trigger them really. You can use your fingers to push the button down, not like a center-fire where you need a hammer and firing pin. By pulling the trigger on the M203, your pushing a rod into the button. Simple as that.
Basic Combat Training (US Army) 11-08, Honor Graduate...
OP's Attended: New Dawn

Jin
Posting King

Post by Jin » Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:00 pm

In Shodan's defense the function of most airsoft M203 shells is rather identical to that of real M576 buckshot 40mm shells :wink:
They don't load the same way, and the firing system is different, but the effect upon firing is the same.
MAA Member #83
Every once in a while, when they aren't getting incinerated in lava, crushed under rock slides, or devoured by dragons, goblins experience moments of unmitigated glory in battle.

b.lee.swagger
Regular

Post by b.lee.swagger » Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:43 pm

Gir wrote:
Shodan wrote:They're pretty much the same as real grenades
Shodan wrote:As i said before, they're pretty much the same as real grenades, so yes.
I have NO idea how you came up with that. The only real part about them is the look (which all airsoft stuff looks real), and how you load them (again, all airsoft stuff is like that).

A real M203 will be propelled out the barrel and explode on impact, or depending in the round, explode after a designated time (Star-Bursts, Flares, and some newer HE rounds).

But no, they act NOTHING like the real ones. The real ones are launched from the M203, the airsoft ones are a large group of BBs launched from inside the shell.

And no, you don't need anything to trigger them really. You can use your fingers to push the button down, not like a center-fire where you need a hammer and firing pin. By pulling the trigger on the M203, your pushing a rod into the button. Simple as that.
:shock:

wow, i may have to go out and snag me a few of these!!!

now, i suppose that there are good and bad manufacuerers. any recommendations? besides the madbull 48rnders?
Sipma02

Guges Mk3
MAA Member

Post by Guges Mk3 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:56 pm

Get a front sight for your SIG first :P

Jin
Posting King

Post by Jin » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:09 pm

I think the general consensus you'll find is that Madbull makes the best shells. The reason for this is their durability and superior bearing reset system. All airsoft grenade shells need their o-ring and bearing seal system reset each time after they've been fired before they can hold gas and be fired again. With most airsoft grenade shells this resetting process involves unscrewing the base of the shell a little bit and then screwing it back in.

This system tends to result in the 4 to 12 bearings inside the shell coming out of place every half a dozen or so shots, then you need to unscrew the shell completely and try to get all the bearings inside the shell situated just perfectly and keep them there will screwing it back in. This is a job that requires the patience of a god and is extremely difficult even for the most experienced airsmiths to do, especially when it comes to shells with larger numbers of bearings inside them. It can take an hour or more to do and is needless to say relatively impossible to accomplish on the field, so when your shell goes down you'll have to take it home and spend an hour or so trying to fix it (and then you'll only get another half a dozen or so shots before the bearings come out of alignment again and it'll have to be fixed again).

But with Madbull shells this is something you'll never have to worry about. Madbull uses a different bearing reset system that means all you'll have to do to reset it after firing is push the button on the bottom of the shell all the way in with a screwdriver, stick, or whatever you have around. And in all the years I've used Madbull shells (and collectively fired them hundreds of times) I've never once seen the bearings come out of alignment, so you'll never have to open up a Madbull shell to fix it like you would have to with (as far as I know) every other brand of airsoft M203 shell.

In short, spend a couple extra bucks and buy the Madbull shells of your liking. You'll thank yourself later when you never have to do the infuriating bearing resetting job that you'd have to do with any other brand of shell every half a dozen shots or so. As far as which Madbull shells to buy, it's your pick really. Less BBs will mean more range, more BBs mean less range. Most of their shells take green gas or red gas and some can even take CO2. Be aware that for the CO2 shells though you'll need to pick up a Madbull CO2 adapter with a regulator gauge that can regulate the CO2 pressure. Unregulated CO2 has around 800 PSI of pressure and for best results you want to run the CO2 powered shells between 500 and 600 PSI. Over 650 PSI risks blowing out o-rings, so it's important that if you run CO2 in the CO2 capable shells that you use a regulator to get maximum power without risking damage to the shell's o-rings. Madbull's 12g CO2 cartridge adapter with a built in regulator seems to be popular tool for this job but is a touch expensive at $75 or so. This might be worth it to you if you plan on using your M203 shells in longer range skirmishes though, as running CO2 at 500 PSI can just about double the range of your M203 shells when compared to use with green gas (provided you have shells that are factory certified from Madbull to be CO2 capable).

But anyway, check out Madbull's website HERE for a full list of their shells and to see the features of each shell. There's a lot to choose from that fire all sorts of kinds and quantities of ammunition and take various kinds of gasses. 6mm BBs, 8mm BBs, 10.8mm rubber balls, foam rockets, foam slugs, rubber slugs, and even paintballs. Keep in mind though that in most airsoft skirmishes the rockets/slugs/paintballs will only be usable for taking out hard targets like buildings and vehicles and should not be used as an anti-personnel weapon. Some of their shells (like the 10.8mm rubber ball firing ones) aren't listed on Madbull's page yet since they're pretty new but they are available at Airsoft GI HERE.

Hope that helps! :)
MAA Member #83

b.lee.swagger
Regular

Post by b.lee.swagger » Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:19 pm

Guges Mk3 wrote:Get a front sight for your SIG first :P
im thinking that if i got some clay, it would dry pretty hard right? id have to find a kiln....... :lol: haha

@Jin FINALLY!! the perfect response. :lol: that was EXACTLY what i wanted to know about the shells. the 'strings attached'. yeah, sounds like i should go with the madbull. and yes, that helps a ton!
Sipma02

lord_coz
A Regular

Post by lord_coz » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:44 am

edited
Last edited by lord_coz on Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Erik
MAA Member

Post by Erik » Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:54 am

b.lee.swagger wrote:
Guges Mk3 wrote:Get a front sight for your SIG first :P
im thinking that if i got some clay, it would dry pretty hard right? id have to find a kiln....... :lol: haha
i think that statement speaks for itself.
110% PureBred Professional GunFighter
Team PALADIN
BATC Commandant
MAA Plank Owner
MAA Safety Officer 2001-2012
United States Army 1988-2000

Return to “Guns Discussion”