FREEFALL: Get your Nerf arsenal squared away

Firefly/Serenity themed LARP/Airsoft event July 16-17 at Apocalypse Paintball in Wisconsin.

There will be a public area here for all people to discuss the event and a private forum for players who wish to play together under the MAA Banner.
THE ARCHANGEL
MAA President/CEO

FREEFALL: Get your Nerf arsenal squared away

Post by THE ARCHANGEL » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:18 pm

As Rekkon has mentioned several times and as can be seen in a lot of videos....Nerf is serious in this game and required if you plan to hang out in town with any regularity. I can also tell people have upgraded some of there guns for sure. I'm not saying you should....but have a decent gun and a melee weapon.

Since I first started thinking about attending this game I began researching Nerf guns and the like....so feel free to share you experience and pics of your arsenal for this event.

MAA Founder, President, & CEO
MAA Member Number: 1
Team PALADIN Founder
BATC Senior Instructor
BATC Graduate 08-02
ATAC Award for Service

andre
MAA Member

Re: FREEFALL: Get your Nerf arsenal squared away

Post by andre » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:20 pm

Archangel-
Could you please tell us a little bit about your super sweet nerf gun and what you've done to modify it? :D
Thanks.
MAA member # 93,BATC Grad 05-10, Gun fighter level 1
http://www.ostfrontairsoft.com : Russian 198th Rifle Div.
Hero of The Soviet Union
Lion Claws veteran
Looking forward to the next MNSOC game.

Touchette
MAA Member

Post by Touchette » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:59 pm

FYI, Target has the clear plastic Vulcan on sale for $27.99. The store in Maple Grove off Maple Grove Parkway had like 4-5 of them when I was there Wednesday night.
Touchette
(Pronounced Two-Shay)

Erik
MAA Member

Post by Erik » Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:08 pm

Don't buy the Vulcan. Even modded it's not as reliable as the Stampede.
110% PureBred Professional GunFighter
Team PALADIN
BATC Commandant
MAA Plank Owner
MAA Safety Officer 2001-2012
United States Army 1988-2000

THE ARCHANGEL
MAA President/CEO

Post by THE ARCHANGEL » Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:36 pm

I have two Nerf guns I will be bringing.

The first is the Stampede. This came out in mid 2010 and is arguably the best of the piston model Nerf guns. It comes with 3 18 round mags and 1 7 rounder. Other than the paint job....which is good enough for Airsoft....I have done the following:

1. I removed the Air Restricter to give it more range.
2. I filled the air holes in the piston head to give more push.
3. I added a padded buffer to the piston head to cushion the action
4. I have changed the battery bay to run off 4 AA sized 9.6 volt batteries. These batteries do not have overcharge protection and are rechargeable.
5. I removed redundant safety switches.

*My Stampede misfires in full auto like mad. Every single trigger pull I usually get 2 shots and if I hold it down it will often just continuous fire until I engage the safety/power cut off or pull the trigger which some how resets it. After my Barricade is complete I will be pulling the Stampede apart again to tune and fix things.

Items 1 and 4 are common amongst Nerf modders.

I also have a Barricade and I can say that this is the best Nerf gun I have ever owned. I have done no internal mods to the gun, just added 2 of the above 9.6 volt rechargeable batteries and it has far superior range to anything else I have. Ask Tank. I shot at him from a ridiculous distance and he stood there expecting it not even to make it half the distance....and I almost clipped his head. I just painted it yesterday so I am waiting for my touch ups to dry but I will have to tune the gun as it shoots a bit low. The Barricade uses a design like a pitching machine as opposed to a piston design and it operates much smoother. You have to "turn it on" to get the wheels spinning but it's a superior gun.

All the mods I have done I followed instructions from this site from the Philippines. This guys results are far beyond mine and he has done some incredible things.

It should also be noted I have seen people put Airsoft batteries on their Nerf guns with awesome and horrifying results. These are really cheap plastic toys and tolerances are not very forgiving. I fully expect to frag both my guns at some point....just hopefully not while Reavers are attacking.

I also plan to purchase the Nerf Sword and shield kit....only for the "sword" which I will be using as a dagger....a Nerf hatchet....which I plan to wield dually. I am also thinking I will get some kind of sword as the knife/hatchet combo will not allow for much in the way of parrying.

I should hopefully have picks of my Nerf guns by Sunday.
Team PALADIN Founder
BATC Senior Instructor
BATC Graduate 08-02
ATAC Award for Service

Digital
MAA Member

Post by Digital » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:49 pm

So it looks like this is the gun you are talking about you have then gabe... http://www.amazon.com/Nerf-94665-N-Stri ... 266&sr=1-2

I was considering picking this up as well along with what ever type of gun I get, still undecided, which I believe it something you said you were thinking about as well http://www.amazon.com/Nerf-N-Force-Klaw ... 39&sr=1-31
Jon
-Member 27
-FoRT Team
"This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me my rifle is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless."
-Rifleman's Creed

THE ARCHANGEL
MAA President/CEO

Post by THE ARCHANGEL » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:56 pm

Digital wrote:So it looks like this is the gun you are talking about you have then gabe... http://www.amazon.com/Nerf-94665-N-Stri ... 266&sr=1-2
That is the rifle from my pics. I got rid of the shield and the grip pod. It's pricey but as I said it is the best Nerf rifle out there.

That said, for the money I think the Barricade is the better gun for the value....BUT I also have higher voltage batteries. If you plan to be on the Airsoft field more than the town, get the Barricade for sure.
Digital wrote:I was considering picking this up as well along with what ever type of gun I get, still undecided, which I believe it something you said you were thinking about as well http://www.amazon.com/Nerf-N-Force-Klaw ... 39&sr=1-31
That is what I plan to get as well. It won't do much for defense and it cannot be thrown but it is small and should be easy to carry. I have not had luck finding these in Target's for quite some time now so plan a toy store or online.

Here are the batteries in my Barricade. That's two batteries and a dummy.

A pic of my painted Barricade.

Both my Nerf Guns.

I gotta take my Stampede apart again as I'm really not happy with its performance. Hopefully I'll have time....

* You can use Nerf on the field to stun players....keep that in mind.
Team PALADIN Founder
BATC Senior Instructor
BATC Graduate 08-02
ATAC Award for Service

andre
MAA Member

Post by andre » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:54 pm

I Just ordered four of the Nerf hatchets, I'd like to sell three of them if anyones interested please shoot me a PM.
They were $7.35 apiece and that would be the selling price.(free shipping for the win!)

Shady gets one, I've got two left.
Last edited by andre on Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
MAA member # 93,BATC Grad 05-10, Gun fighter level 1
http://www.ostfrontairsoft.com : Russian 198th Rifle Div.
Hero of The Soviet Union
Lion Claws veteran
Looking forward to the next MNSOC game.

Digital
MAA Member

Post by Digital » Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:21 pm

After doing some research this weekend, pretty much looking at guns that I like on amazon and then reading reviews / looking into mods I might end up going down the same route that Archangel.

Comparing prices between Amazon.com and Target though it looks like target might be a little bit cheaper for the guns. The Ax on the other hand that I want is much cheaper on amazon. Andre if you do in fact have 4 axes and are looking to sell one I might be interested in picking one up from you to save myself shipping. I don't know if there is anything else as of this moment in time that I might need / want on amazon to get up to the $25 free shipping.

Arch,
Where did you pick up your batteries, charger, and dumby battery from? I'm guessing amazon as well?
Jon
-Member 27
-FoRT Team
"This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me my rifle is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless."
-Rifleman's Creed

genorion
Web Admin

Post by genorion » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:36 pm

I have a couple mavericks i am trying to paint,( no batteries to die when you need the most.)
You did what to your computer?
BATC Graduate 07-08
MAA Number 88

Dark_zero_x
MAA Member

Post by Dark_zero_x » Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:53 am

I got my nerf guns back together tonight, I didnt have time to paint one, but they are both modfied.
the painted one has a new O-ring AR removed air hole filled in and a modifed spring, this is the most I can do with stock darts. it shoots to about 40ish feet but its hard to hit accurately past 30.
the unpainted one just has a very strong modified spring this one shoots 30ft but much harder.
MAA Member #103
BATC RSL class 10-11
BATC Grad class 05-10
Gunfighter Level 1
T5.11TBT

Return to “OP: FreeFall V (2011)”