"Evolution of the Airsoft Player"

Post about anything relating to Airsoft that doesn't fit in another forum.

Moderator: THE ARCHANGEL

THE ARCHANGEL
MAA President/CEO

"Evolution of the Airsoft Player"

Post by THE ARCHANGEL » Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:32 am

I wrote the following a couple years ago during a particularly rough patch on the boards where we had a lot of new players all but spamming the boards with the "usual questions" on guns and such....and older players persecuting them for it. In particular I wanted to point out then, as I do now, that some of the people who were griping the most, were almost exactly the same not more than a year or so before. In the end, all Airsoft players, regardless of location, need to recognize the cycle of player personalities as well as the as discussion board phases as they pertain to season and month.

First, allow me to revive the "Evolution of the Airsoft Player" post which describes the stages every player goes thru. These are based on empirical evidence collected over the last 8+ years.
  • - The NEWBIE: We were all this once. Just found Airsoft, thought it was wicked cool. Wanted to know everything about it. Full of questions, ignorant of the discipline or rules of whatever board we happened to bump into first. Excited to the point of fanaticism.

- The KNOWBIE: A Newbie with a couple of months of board skulking under his belt. No real experience or knowledge, but filled with the audacity to think they know what they're talking about because they read it somewhere. Far more annoying than a Newbie simply because they're entirely more vocal.

- The PLAYER - PRIVATE: Both board time and a little field time. Not overtly skilled or full of themselves. Still excited about the game and the possibilities but still tentative online. This is a fast phase for some, a long phase for others. Dedication to the game is complete. Confidence level is starting to grow.

- The PLAYER - SERGEANT: Board time and field not in question. Above average skill, as they now know how things work on the field. Confidence is strong. Egos vary at this stage but all-in-all this phase has the most all around friendly and helpful players. Willing to answer questions that have already been asked, research things for lazier people, enforces rules but rarely spitefully. This is the middle phase when "all things are right". The perfect blend of new and experienced. They know where they came from and where and what they want to be...in the community. This phase can last forever for some players.

- The PLAYER - LIEUTENANT: Board and field time not in question...but unlike the Sergeant phase, ego raises, patience falters. No longer willing to help other players, regardless of level or phase, unless they actually know them. Tired of "undead" questions to the point of rage. Prone to short temper and posts rampant with insults. Firm believer in "Negative Reinforcement". Superior air. This player is respected for their experience and deeds but feared if not all out hated for their attitude in general. Some players never leave this phase...some pass right over it.

- The RECLOOSE - Reasons for reaching this phase differ from person to person but the results are the same, they don't come to the D-Board anymore. Whether they think it's boring, a waste of time, or just annoying, these players just sit back and let the board live without them. It's not that they don't care; they're just not interested in being a part of the community for awhile. This phase can come and go for some guys; they disappear when the spirit moves them. It's not a bad phase but it DOES hit everyone at some point.

- THE VETERAN - Board and field time...plenty. Enough to realize that this is all a game and should be treated thusly. It's not a popularity contest or a measure of one's manliness. Just a game. Helpful on the boards only when new questions arise, when something particularly catches their interest, or when queries are posed that are generally left to the more experienced players (rules, legal stuff, etc.). More comfortable on the field, not necessarily playing (at least not in all the open games) but being involved with the community. These players are comfortable with themselves and their "rep" and treat this game, and how we play it, with revelry. Ego still plays a part here but more from a giddy pride that comes from watching other players play and learn, knowing that they too made this full journey. Every player reaches this level too...but experiences and performances vary.
And what about the seasons? Not the Airsoft seasons of play like indoor and outdoor, but rather the well documented seasons that effect and sometimes are the catalyst for certain behavior patterns.
  • - JANUARY: Sporadic posts from new and prospective players who are riding the excitement wave of receiving their new Airsoft gun for Christmas. Lots of "what should I buy next" posts. Altogether an increase of posts on the boards as winter is in full swing and there's nothing else to do but wait for the next indoor game (if there is one). New and old players alike have money in their pockets from the Holidays and orders increase. The MAA starts setting its summer calendar.

- FEBRUARY: Quiet winter month. People are starting to get bored with winter. Board activity is steady but a lot of off topic stuff. Tolerance for new players is getting thin. Whispers of spring/summer begin. The MAA usually posts its summer season calendar.

- MARCH: More prospective players start to emerge as spring is just around the corner. Undead questions and posts like "which gun?" and "help me choose" become a regular occurrence on the boards. Tolerance for said questions is generally lacking and seeing older players lash out is a usual occurrence. Lots of sales posts as people are either doing spring cleaning and need to get rid of things (only to buy new things)....or people are looking to either change or add to their existing loadouts for the upcoming season. Players start to plan their summer seasons, what will they be attending and when.

- APRIL: A frenzied month. Both outdoor and indoor games start popping up. Players have more choices. Board is busy with people still trying to settle their equipment. Still lots of questions but as everyone is excited responses are plentiful and helpful. Players, though still willing to play indoors, will start to complain about the lack of and/or request outdoor games. Players that have previously been out of touch return as outdoor season begins.

- MAY: Outdoor season is in full swing. Spirits are high. Sales posts have more to do with supplies like BB's and gas than actual gear and guns. Questions are low. Players are looking for games to play and people to play with. Loads of board activity as summer break has started for some, very literally, new posts will get responded to 10 times within their first minute as board lurkers post on everything.

- JUNE: Board activity is high but focused, usually discussion about previous and upcoming games are prevalent. Players have their guns and gear for the season. Discussion of tactics and how to be a better player pop up but are still related to the games being played. Players want to be on field playing, not talking.

- JULY: Same as June, summer is here and Airsoft players would rather be on the field.

- AUGUST: Same as the other summer months but there's a hint of desperation. Many players have to return to school soon so summer vacation is ending. For many, August marks the end of the traveling season.

- SEPTEMBER: School starts for many. A sudden and evident drop in day time board activity to the point of "ghost town" status. Players still attend games and usually in record numbers as many realize the outdoor/Summer season is coming to a close.

- OCTOBER: Transitionary month. Games still played outdoors but weather starts to be more of a factor. October usually marks when players start taking about indoor play (if there are any games), and many players start to pack away gear or set up for winter play.

- NOVEMBER: Holiday season starts. Activity on boards and at indoor games is steady but tapering. Many are starting to think of what they either want for Christmas or are trying to figure out how to buy for others. Sporadic sales posts pop up as people want to make money.

- DECEMBER: Spirits are high again....but now due to the Holidays more than Airsoft. Board activity is still high but off topic or people asking for advice on what they should ask for for Christmas. Generally a really nice time for the community. Board activity after Christmas is high as people are on vacation and have new toys, Airsoft related or not, that they want to show off. Players start to get lazy.....as winter has people confined and we still have months of snow to look forward to. As we enter into January, it all starts over again, with few changes in the cycle?
Obviously this isn't a comprehensive list, there are anomalies and exceptions to every list....but generally this information has held true.

Most of all....I want all players, new and old, to remember where you came from....and realize that there is most definitely a "circle of life" in the Airsoft world. Try to remember that before you jump on a new guy or start complaining about too many questions or not enough games. It's been happening for ages my friends....and will continue....

If you have noticed other interesting Airsoft player facts and foibles, share them....and they may be added to the list.
MAA Founder, President, & CEO
MAA Member Number: 1
Team PALADIN Founder
BATC Senior Instructor
BATC Graduate 08-02
ATAC Award for Service

Guges Mk3
MAA Member

Post by Guges Mk3 » Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:39 pm

Drill Sergeant Veteran...loving and caring,...but confronts the malfeasant and their righteous ways.

I think of these people as the Discipliner of the Player-LT.
I rather use a "nightmare" that shoots like a dream over something that looks like a "dream" but shoots like a nightmare.

Don't fear the gun...fear the one that's wielding it!

BlackHawk (Prokat)

Post by BlackHawk (Prokat) » Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:18 am

I just wanna throw it out there as a current pseudo-recluse/former sergeant that as I've watched for probably the last 4 or so years that this list is pretty much as comprehensive as it claims... I've made references to the "knowbie" phase as well as others, in activities outside of Airsoft as well, and just want to thank Archangel for writing this up in the first place. It offers perspective that most wouldn't usually think about.

Hopefully I'll see more of y'all around! :D

Erik
MAA Member

Post by Erik » Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:02 am

Some other archtypes I've noticed...if you look at these and see yourself, know that it's all in fun.

THE INVENTOR.

The player, for whatever reason, becomes convinced that he can make improvements to Airsoft guns, equipment, and the game itself that have never been thought of or tried before (LOL). His posts revolve around the discussion of Airsoft cannons, grenades, landmines, land warrior systems, and other technological "solutions" that will "change the game as we know it." Posts intricate designs made using MSPaint, but doesn't seem to produce anything that actually works. Spends hundreds of dollars on experimental projects instead of a baseline kit of magazines, batteries and gear.

THE ACTION HERO

This player designs his loadout around his favorite John Woo movie. He owns at least 3 guns, and carries them all on the field. Likes to wield dualies and usually carries an Mp5 as "backup" to another AEG. This usually lasts only a couple games, when at the end of the day he discovers how much all of this weighs in real life.
110% PureBred Professional GunFighter
Team PALADIN
BATC Commandant
MAA Plank Owner
MAA Safety Officer 2001-2012
United States Army 1988-2000

Cotton
FoRt Team

Post by Cotton » Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:39 pm

Erik wrote:
THE INVENTOR.

The player, for whatever reason, becomes convinced that he can make improvements to Airsoft guns, equipment, and the game itself that have never been thought of or tried before (LOL). His posts revolve around the discussion of Airsoft cannons, grenades, landmines, land warrior systems, and other technological "solutions" that will "change the game as we know it." Posts intricate designs made using MSPaint, but doesn't seem to produce anything that actually works. Spends hundreds of dollars on experimental projects instead of a baseline kit of magazines, batteries and gear.
Gingerbreadman. Accept I've seen some of his stuff actually work.
Cotton
FORT Team
Oh, I think it (the "language") conveys my anger/disgust quite effectively. ~Tank

Gingerbreadman
MAA Member

Post by Gingerbreadman » Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:42 pm

Yeah, but most of it doesn't work as well as planned. I'm pretty sure Erik was thinking of another one of our beloved inventors when he wrote that.
Gotta get back in the game.

lord_coz
A Regular

Re: "Evolution of the Airsoft Player"

Post by lord_coz » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:03 pm

[hides in corner behind cardboard]
Last edited by lord_coz on Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mailman
Extremely Regular

Post by Mailman » Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:13 pm

wow, you sure pinned all the seasons down good! Also the Evolution of players, Good job.
BATC 5-10 Honor Grad
The most dangerous weapon in the world is a Second Lieutenant with a map and a compass.

McLovin
Extremely Regular

Post by McLovin » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:36 pm

Sergent
Last edited by McLovin on Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

SuperSeahawk23

Post by SuperSeahawk23 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:33 pm

I'm a little surprised that you didn't include anything about gas guns working better in the spring months. Generally that's my favorite thing about when the weather gets over 50 degrees.

Ferron_Legion
Somewhat Regular

Post by Ferron_Legion » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:14 pm

Man... it's creepy how dead on accurate you are with the description of the players and seasons lol, nicely done.

Digital
MAA Member

Post by Digital » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:22 pm

When one has run the MAA games for well over 10 years you can easily pick out how long someone has been playing.
Jon
-Member 27
-FoRT Team
"This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me my rifle is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless."
-Rifleman's Creed

pigkiller_7
Somewhat Regular

Post by pigkiller_7 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:21 am

You forgot to post something about the infamous chairsofter.

THE CHAIRSOFTER lots of board time and questionable field time skill varies. Refers to people who boast about their superior knowledge in regards to airsoft, and how they are the best around because they know everything. At the same time, they seem to know everything, but you will never see them at games.
I am the trigger of my gun
Indestructable is my body
Infinate is my ammo
I have fired over a thousand bullets
Victor over Dead Master
Triumphant over Chariot
Have withstood the pain of many weapons
Yet I will never shed a single tear of pain

Master TCAA
MAA Member

Post by Master TCAA » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:35 am

I have read this several times now and then. It really is dead on mostly. To think back and relate yourself in some of these stages is interesting. I see it in a lot of the people I meet who have me fix there guns etc.
Long before I was a Master in Martial Arts I had a conversation with one of my Masters who was a mentor of mine at the time. Thinking I was going to impress him I said "I think about Martial Arts all the time. All I want to do is train and work out." Which was true because I owned a karate school, was in the fighting circuit and still live and breath it to this day. His response surprised me. He said "Hmm.. I go to work everyday and deal with the real world. You should remember what is really important in your life." I left that conversation with a new perspective about priorities..
When the character of a man is not clear to you, look at his friends.
BATC grad 10-11
MAA Member #94
Team: Wolverines

GABRIEL

Re:

Post by GABRIEL » Mon May 30, 2011 11:23 pm

[quote="Erik"]
THE INVENTOR.

"The player, for whatever reason, becomes convinced that he can make improvements to Airsoft guns, equipment, and the game itself that have never been thought of or tried before (LOL). His posts revolve around the discussion of Airsoft cannons, grenades, landmines, land warrior systems, and other technological "solutions" that will "change the game as we know it." Posts intricate designs made using MSPaint, but doesn't seem to produce anything that actually works. Spends hundreds of dollars on experimental projects instead of a baseline kit of magazines, batteries and gear."

On my team here in Utah there is a guy everyone calls Thor. He would fall under the Inventor category haha, BUT his stuff is legit and actually works. Hes built things like RPG's Mortars Grenade Launchers to even his own airsoft gun where he milled the barrel bought some gears and came up with his own design internally anyways. I guess it helps that he Designs and builds Bombs and missiles on the AFB down here. Hes got a fleet of Airsoft "Vehicles" : dune buggies, old trucks, and the works...

But I understand what your saying. I have run into SEVERAL people who think they have a great Idea when in fact they have no clue what they are doing and end up spending hundreds of dollars haha. but there are legit inventors.
"From time to time the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots alike."
-Thomas Jefferson

GABRIEL

Post by GABRIEL » Mon May 30, 2011 11:29 pm

And everything else sounds almost like here in Utah. Except the winters arent as harsh here (dont get me wrong we still get an assload of snow ) so the more dedicated airsofters play every week of the year sun night rain or snow were out there.
"From time to time the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots alike."
-Thomas Jefferson

centuryAIRSOFT

Post by centuryAIRSOFT » Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:24 am

how do you not be a newbie?

Digital
MAA Member

Post by Digital » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:24 am

centuryAIRSOFT wrote:how do you not be a newbie?
By not posting a ton on an airsoft board in the middle of the night regarding the same question over and over. Also by not spamming our boards and pretty much having a conversation by yourself. You will also notice your post count going down from 62 to god knows what ever I finally get it down to after spending nearly a half hour trying to delete all your useless posts that add nothing to every thread you decided to necro post on.
Jon
-Member 27
-FoRT Team
"This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me my rifle is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless."
-Rifleman's Creed

C-BASS
Fairly Regular

Post by C-BASS » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:38 pm

Digital wrote: By not posting a ton on an airsoft board in the middle of the night regarding the same question over and over. Also by not spamming our boards and pretty much having a conversation by yourself. You will also notice your post count going down from 62 to god knows what ever I finally get it down to after spending nearly a half hour trying to delete all your useless posts that add nothing to every thread you decided to necro post on.
Sorry to necro-post but that ^ made my day.
Follow me!

ciin
A Regular

Post by ciin » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:19 pm

Good stuff. Nice objective view points well laid out. As the Airsoft HOG gets closer to launch and we are actively gathering content and contributors this is exactly the type of content that will help educate newbies and veterans alike. Access to the sport requires an understanding and openness of player evolution and where a particular person might be in that evolution. This is a big reason that i created Airsoft HOG

My goal is to help grow this sport and have a blast doing it. The MAA is a fantastic organization and Airsoft HOG will do everything we can to support the MAA and the sport.

As a marketer and entrepreneur and airsoft newb, I can certainly identify multiple areas of opportunity that I have not seen implemented in regards to our immediate market. I certainly hope there is buyin if not now in the future to what we are trying to accomplish. Simply put our goal is to make better players and grow the sport in our area.

This will be an information and educational outlet. We are not trying to be an organizing body, association or any other reinvent the wheel concept. We want to use existing community resources and package it in a way that I have not seen in our market.

Kudos Arch this is a great article.

quterwip
Under 14

Post by quterwip » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:21 pm

The Backyard Idiot

The kind of idiot who thinks 10 is a good age for airsoft buy a 50/100$ gun and only plays in his backyard but refuses to wear equipment because he thinks he is cool and Plays a a public park. :oops: :twisted:
"Muslim sonic you can stop fasting now"

IM GONNA LOVE AND TOLARATE THE SH*T OUT OF YOU!

Blackcat
MAA Member

Post by Blackcat » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:15 pm

I'd like to acknowledge/admit that I am experiencing a full-blown Recluse phase. I've been out of touch with the game, have not made it to 1 winter season game, and I've never been to the facility. And I do miss my MAA brethren. I will return to the sport when the stars align appropriately... I've just had a full plate lately. I'm not on the boards much lately but I always make it back at some point to try and catch up... long live the M.A.A.
FORT Team - 21st Infantry Division(RIP) - MAA#46 - BATC 03-05hg - Gunfighter Level 1 - OPs Attended: 12 - Blackcat's Profile - Blog

USMC_GUNNA
A Regular

Post by USMC_GUNNA » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:12 pm

Yeah, I am just coming out of my recluse phase after four years, I just attended my first MAA game in about 3-4 years. I just bought $200 of stuff and feel the spark again haha.
Υ Σ Μ Χ
In the face of danger, delight may come across as psychopathic.

Return to “General Airsoft”